Rear Indicator - on the fritz...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

Passed MOT a few weeks back, and I know it has been working recently.. up until last night.

I pressed fob twice to deadlock - all the usual lights flashed bar the rear drivers indicator.

Tested the indicator, true enough doesnt work on right turn - at rear only, front/side one go into overdrive and are working at double time.

First thought was bulb, but it's not that.... looked into handbook about fuses, but cant be that as all indicators are on same fuse (I did check it anyway, it was fine)....

.... any takers for what's causing this random outage on my rear, drivers turn signal?

Yeah - that sort of thing is going to be my next line of thought.... but was thinking, like the fuse, would that not 'take out' other functions along with it?

This seems strangely isolated to rear, drivers side indicator, and that alone. {As far as I know anyway).

Pain in the ass as I have a couple of long trips this next 4-5 days and not a lot of time to spare to fanny around with it....

It depends how the relay has failed. It's just a series of "gates" switched by a smaller voltage, so if the front and rear indicators are served inside the relay with seperate "gates" it's totally possible. Some relays have one job, others have a few. Not got a book with be to check about indicators unfortunately.

^

Hhhmmmmmm.... bugger!

Cheers for the input though.

Well, been up since 4.30am and so am thinking a quick a/noon nap will be on the cards before I mess about with things.

In the Fiesta Manual, the L/H front Indicator, Rear Indicator and Side Indicator are switched from the same connector (5) in the relay and the R/H set-up from (11).

If this is the case, the relay should be OK and it's the Connector/Bulb that needs sorting.

The Direction Indicator/Hazard Flasher Relay is plugged into the bottom of the steering column combination switch assembly.

cheers - will look into all that, not able to mess with it just now.
I know the bulb is fine & had a look at where it connects into - seemed ok too.

Will check what combination of lights are working back there as soon as possible.
Am familiar with the relay on base of stalk unit from when I changed that around.

well all the other lights work at that rear unit.
And all the other indicators work - but that rear drivers indicator stubbornly refuses to cooperate.

3 posts in a row..... must be in 'post whore' mode today ;)

Anyway - messed about with it as much as time allowed... and have a temp' fix.

The issue is the plastic connector housing 'plug' - it's the same bulb/amp as the reverse light one, and so have switched them for now. Working fine.

Obviously the trade off is I currently only have 1 reverse light - but indicators are a higher priority.
Will fix it properly in a few days when I get home - failing that will see if a scrappy, or Ford can furnish me with a replace connector housing

Great to hear you've got to the bottom of it.

:D

Back