rear shocker question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigw

right fellas ive just had all the suspension parts replaced on my puma and had gmax shicks and spring kit fitted, when i got the kit i noticed both rear shocks i could push the silver part in and out i didnt seem to have any resistance, is this normal?
since the kits been fitted the back end feels really harsh, i know the kit will be stiffer but the back just doesnt feel right as if it has no dampening, im not very good with spanners but im gonna take off a rear shock again to see if i can still push it in by hand, i always thought you wouldnt be able to, am i right in thinking this?
just curious if you guys have had any problems fitting spring kits :s

A simple test to see if your shocks are working is to press down hard on each corner of the car and the car should bounce back up almost straight away.

If it doesnt, if it keeps on bouncing up and down several times you have a problem with your shocks.

Often people misunderstand what the shocks and springs do. It is the spring that absorbs the shock of say going over a bump or down a pothole (not the shock absorber) It is the job of the shock absorber / damper to stop the spring from bouncing up and down,and help it to return to a non reverberating state.

How much did you lower the car? the lower the car the harder the spring has to be,the price of many modifications is to give up comfort and quiet for better performance.

its normal for little to no resistance if you push them down by hand gently, if you try and force them in hard by hand they should stiffen

cheers for that ive been back to see my mate and hes says the fine they are just stiff but it handles really well now, so i guess im gonna have to live with it, ive only lowered 30mm :roll:
38BC0FF0-8FC0-4D62-AA80-E59AA763A1EC-9277-000006AF0B27038F.jpg

30mm is just right in my book, I'm planning on doing mine 30mm lower on eibach springs at some point. Which I'm hoping wont be too harsh and spoil the car. I wonder how much difference there can be in 30mm lower springs from different companies though? I wonder if for instance eibachs may be a little softer initially on compression but harder later in the spring travel but others might be harder right off the bat at the beginning of the spring compression?

the focus i had before my puma i had koni springs and they were awesome, couldnt really tell comfort wise that the car was lowered. i got the kit because shocks were just about finished the front right had no resistance at all, plus the gmax kit is only £250 ;)

mines not lowered but when going over a pothole it feels and sounds like it is not confy right now will have to get that checked me thinks

Latest posts

Back