Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandel

Hello folks, I hope you are all well! Looking for some advice on this.

Changed my rear bearing a couple of months ago and it's gone again.

Now, for fear of not being able to get the new ones in I didn't put in new collars, I just slotted the new bearings into the old collars, which may or may not be the cause of the problem but the failure is pretty dramatic, a large amount of wheel wobble is going on!

Will I be able to get those new collars in without a press? Or some advice on getting them in and the old ones out (as they seemed pretty damn well stuck in!) and perhaps any tips on properly greasing?

I would very much appreciate any advice :).

Cheers

Ash

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you sure the bearings have gone? are you sure your hub nuts not come apart, they are really only supposed to be used once although you can get away with more

quest63 said:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7184

Are you sure the bearings have gone? are you sure your hub nuts not come apart, they are really only supposed to be used once although you can get away with more

Studied that thread in depth pre doing the job but the pictures were not working, thank you!

Yeah I used a new hub nut, it's definitely not that because I was worried I had not torqued it enough, I took it to a garage tonight and he did it to 240nm for me (It turned less than 1/4 of a turn so I was pretty close).

Cheers!

New rear drums are only about £80 from Ford and they come with the bearings already pressed in, you just need the new ball bearing part. Most Pumas have had a few bearing changes by now and chances are someone will have knackered the bearing faces by hammering them in

Collars need removing...that's a definate and despite what quest says you cannot 'get away' with using them again.

Patience is the key, tap one side out from the back going side to side, top to btm so your knocking it out evenly, then flip the drum over and repeat on the other collar.

I put my new ones in the freezer for a few hours before replacing but it didn't make the slightest difference to ones I'd put in before. Just use the old collars to tap them in gently at first then with gusto.

Before putting in, the ledge they bed up to when fully fitted should be free from damage...and I mean ANY damage whatsoever as otherwise they will just bugger up in no time as this ledge has to be perfectly flat.

I stupidly let a 'no-it-all' mechanic on one set of my bearings to my cost, he'd hammered the crap out of the collars and damaged the ledge without telling me....or no doubt without the knowledge that it actually mattered. Within 800 miles the new bearings were worse than the previous one that they'd replaced and I thought I'd lose the wheels. I bought new drums, did the job myself and when I sold the car 14,000 miles afterwards they were still perfect. and as far as I know still are.

did you buy ford parts... I remember doing this job on a previous fiesta..went through 2 sets of Quinton hazel ones within a few months... the ford part on the third attempt never failed... used exactly the same fitting method all three times..

:)

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

I'm off to do the job now, wish me luck!

Job done! Ended up taking it to my mechanic (who likes work so was in on boxing day tinkering with his Bentley!). He Knocked out the old collars and put the news ones in for me. Obviously outside of that it's all pretty easy.

Bearings greased to death.

All going well! Just got to pop to ford and pick up one of those little cover things.

Cheers folks, Merry Christmas!

Hi just want to add some practical advice on this subject of drum bearing swap, don't think about old drums, not worth the trouble just get new ones originals must be scrap by now!
done my rear drums (new) did consider going to a garage to press the inner bearing collars, but I read more on the subject and did it my self with no special tools, this is how I did it: 1) get a small retractable long hobby knife and de-burr the first edge/lip the collar sits in to help the initial fit. 2) place the 1st new drum studs down and heat the neck where bearings sit with a cheap blow torch in a safe place outside on concrete or the like, any oil will soon burn off, slowly turn it around with suitable glove on one hand, torch in other till it is very warm only. 3) take your collar thick lip of taper first, (grease outer diameter first) and drop it ready to be worked on in place. Having an old inner race spare I then dropped that where the new one will go later, got a large socket about 44mm OD /34 ID on that (see what large sockets you have to fit) and lined everything up to start and tap the lot with a large hammer (lump hammer best). Gentle to start with till it goes in the right bore just a bit still square to the that bore. 4) Not forgetting the drum is still pretty hot still, but more lubrication is needed to cut down on the bashing and causing damage. As the parts are now there is a lip to spay some WD40 in (as long as it is not too hot) And start to hammer moving the old race and drum around keeping ALL square still and you should be getting close to your shoulder lip/stop that the collar is to sit against now, keep checking and stop hammering when there is no gap on the shoulder. 5) Flip Drum over and without needing to re-heat do the same exactly to the deeper bore which I found easier, thought it would be harder, but de-burring and lubrication help allot. BTW I did not freeze the collars as they are so small it would not have made much difference anyway. I checked the surfaces for damage and could find none so ready with ALL braking parts in place to fit drums to hub shafts now with grease/seal inner most/ABS ring/ taper races, more grease/ new large lock nut/cap All fitted as manuals specify. Both sides must be done at same time of course. I expect this to be job done but will report back if anything does crop up with this drum job in the future? BTW I needed new drums due to wear, a lip showing on brake surface making brake adjustment very limited even with new adjusters/shoes and cables. taking the lip off will just help fitment on a out of spec drum. Hope this helps someone with their rear brakes.

Hi again Been told by garage my rear bearings are showing signs of wear and best get bears changed.Not sure why but am about to do the job again only this time I hope to get the old inner shells out (not new drum now) so tap tap method :-0 When it comes to putting the new outer shells back in I am going to use shell on shell (old) then old race and socket to tap on lightly and square, hope this time will be safer and last longer. the old shell won't seat like the new good one as the lip is not that deep, so will tap back out easy as it should have a shoulder if both the same way round. btw the outer dia. of the shell is just over 50mm so 50 would be a good size for a drift. Check this all out for your self anyway. I understand some of these bearings in the back drums are not to good to start with, and don't last too long? As said already ford drums may be best, not only with outer shells but the whole bearing for quality and speed of doing the job. I have replaced everything but the spindle now complete braking parts, handbrake cables/hoses/cyl/adjusters/springs/shoes now so don't want to keep taking the drums off every year. Hope not.

I can also confirm that new genuine Ford drums are sold without bearings or races fitted.
All of my pumas were fitted with SKF bearings,which I assume were original equipment when new,so I replaced like for like and have had no issues with fitment or reliability.
The fronts are SKF also,very good quality bearings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234528876119?hash=item369b02a657:g:-GUAAOSwavRifDck

Also check their website as they often alternate discounts between their official website OR their Ebay store (I used them previously for my Ka).
Currently 5% off current order on their website if you use SAVE5 code but up to 7% off Ebay if Multibuy. As I say, this changes so good idea to keep an eye out on both stores.

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-parts/transmission/wheel/skf-wheel-bearing-kit-vkba3666-detail

:eek:k:

Done my drums/bearings again, once down to just drum and shells started by tapping out the back shell out from the front (which is deeper in). A curved corner helps getting a large flat sided screw driver on it. I kept turning the drum 90 degrees using the studs as a guide, drum against my knee st steady it. Slowly it will come out. Make sure you have the driver on the right lip, I used my finger to position it and move it clear to tap with a lump hammer, these are good for this job as tapping the new shells back in it can be used side on to tap opposite sides at the same time. Any way once seated against the shoulder again (as I said above) replace the deeper front shell (not so easy to remove or fit hence do last). In the kits you should have besides the rest of the roller bearings, the back grease and the new special big nut, maybe some grease in a bag. The ABS ring can be re-used if your careful.
Make sure you do everything in the right order and torque tightness. Best to renew as many brake components as you can before you reassemble, at least new shoes as they are so cheap. Anyway hope I am set for a few years now. Boy what a dirty job, but the car feels so much better, plus handbrake good!
The last bearings I have fitted (just) were Nordic, shells looked not as wide, inner race and total depth the same, but fitted OK. car 1.7 with ABS

Well Well Rear Bearing gone! on a long run due to heat! The last bearings were Nordic, well that's what the Ad said. Had loads of grease on as well.
The grease melted, it was HT grease for W/bearings as well. The new ones Ad said Ford but not from ford directly, will see how these go, my stub axle thread is beyond use now, drum been on and off too many times in 24 years. Finding a new ABS one is almost impossible ford want £300 now, but thanks to Puma Bits who dug me one out (refub) the car could well have been scrap and that would have been a shame. Have all the parts again now so starting afresh with new drums again, how what fun we have. Just hope the other side holds out? Plus the trailing arm bushes are gone now, already have black polly ones, and finally rear sill outer plates to finish that area, once I have used my angle grinder to remover the old back part of the sill I will have access to the hard to get to inner bit by the bush from the inside to weld a plate there as well. A garage would want more than the cars worth for jobs like this, I would say all pumas are just waiting for these problems by now, so plenty of spare parts around for now. Back to work then, we have the technology!

Back