reliability?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyotapuma

read a fair few posts about people having alot of trouble with their pumas, i love everything about these cars and really want one, but hearing so much about different faults,

just wondering if i could get a few ratings of reliability in comparison with other cars of the same type,

thanks you guys, you are a big help to everyone :)

don't want to tempt fate lol

I've had this car 4 years now, in that time I've had the RAC out twice.

HCV unit inlet tube snapped and lost all the coolant, other time the battery had died. Can't think of anything else so I'm quite happy with it

The thing is you're going to hear about a lot of problems on forums as trouble-shooting is one of the main reasons for their existence!

My Puma, bought from new 11 years ago in November 2000, has only let me down once in its time with me, and that was because the battery died and needed replacing, look after your Puma and it will look after you, check the oil regularly and service it annually

As pumapilot says, if looked after they should have no issues. I've owned my Puma for 2 years with no problems, my neighbour was the previous owner from new and he never had an issue either.

Bear in mind the sort of problems you will get from buying any old car (e.g. worn suspension bushes) but apart from that they are very reliable provided they are looked after correctly (especially oil!). There is a buyers guide in the newbie section.

My FRP wasn't the best, but my old 1.7 before that was fine - no major issues at all short of wear and tear items.

Don't forget people generally join forums only because they have problems. So you'll find more posts about people's problems than them saying wow my suspension has lasted ages and the bushes have last 7 years.. etc etc.

thanks as always guys, jusy gotta get me some dollar :) then i can post about my adventures in the puma world :twisted:

Apart from me changing nearly everything mechanical on the car because I wanted too, not because I had too, I have had very few problems with the Puma - and now I just know I've jinxed it and something will go seriously wrong, thus the reason for debating whether to comment on this post at all....lol.

In two years I only had 2 unplanned outage of service moments, the first was a broken thermostat housing, the second was the anterior ingress of a Skoda Fabia which killed the car!

ohh damn :eek: well i guess its just about finding a good one and keeping it fit, cheers for help :D

3 Puma's, no major problems (apart from the being stolen).

One did have a leak from the rocker cover gasket which meant regular top ups and occasional smell of burning oil in the cabin...

The current one has a slight coolant leak I can't seem to find...

They all occasionally had a tough start but always managed it on a second attempt. Probably something to do with not keeping my foot on the clutch when starting and not waiting a second or so before starting the engine...

Latest posts

Back