remapping??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee_murf

Mate outta work told me that if i get my pumma remapped it wont only gain more bhp but will run more effeciantly

Is this true, fast enough already but would love MORE POWER!!!!

1st and formost in the longrun would it wreck my engine?

There's a few things that a remap of the standard ECU will do:

You'll get a few more BHP, but don't expect miracles! It reduces the traction control so that you can accelerate smoother in 1st and don't get as bogged down. It changes the upper rev limiter from 6750 rpm to 7250 rpm.

The only issue you might have is that you're essentially fooling the engine into thinking it's an FRP. These have essentially the same engine as earlier pumas, whereas 2001 on onwards, the Puma has two hego sensors to comply with the change in emissions regulations. There is a shortcut to bypass the difference, so not TOO much of a problem.

Dal's got his remapped, and there is a noticeable difference in performance. It's not necessarily a great deal faster, but it does put down the power better.

dee_murf said:
Mate outta work told me that if i get my pumma remapped it wont only gain more bhp but will run more effeciantly

Is this true, fast enough already but would love MORE POWER!!!!

1st and formost in the longrun would it wreck my engine?

If you continually bounce the engine off the rev limiter, then you'll most likely reduce your engines life. Doing it at 7250 rather than 6750 more so. Normal driving and it won't make a difference IMO.

I found that it gave a bit better mod range torque more than anything, making overtaking on motorways a bit easier for example.

I did have mine set to run on super unleaded at the same time, so the greater torque mid range might also be from the engine taking advantage of a few extra RON in the petrol.

I think to do the re-mapping properly on a FRP cam-less car you will have to tell it that it only has std cams or else the timing will be well out as the FRP cams have a slightly more aggressive profile.

I started out with a 1.7 standard engine running with a TAPE ecu. I then added a full oem FRP exhaust and inlet manifold, this gave me more power and better acceleration with the FRP pops and bangs. Next i got a FRP map on the ecu, this gave me better 1st and 2nd gear take off and again an increase of power/acceleration.
Every mod i did gave me a small step forward, i still need to fit my FRP cams for the full FRP spec engine.

Good point Dunc.. having a TAPE ECU helps no end as that's what's in FRPs. It'll take a fair bit or farting about with other ones. (MUFF, DIVE & DUDE)

People think the FRP engine is something different but its just a 1.7 with bits added for the extra 30 bhp. Inlet manifold with modded air box, exhaust system, cams and Tape ECU with map thats it for the engine.

Thanks for all of the advice,

I have a 2002 puma, was just wondering if it would be worth the money to have it done, i'll look into it at the garages here in Belfast.

I never take my kat to the rev limit, wouldnt want to damage it, love it too much!!

Thanks every1 again!!

So long as its warmed up properly, no harm in taking it up to 6500rpm on occasion :)

remapping is fine as long as the mapper is experienced & the driver still treats the car with respect!! ;-D

tbh i don't think i'd ever have a NA engine remapped again!! Unless I was going crazy with the mods, like i did with my old CRX mk2 VTEC. You just don't get the same gains for your money like you do with FI engines!! Originally i'd fitted an induction kit & stainless system to my CRX then went for a superchip. Didn't gain a great deal compared to the costs. I was gonna leave it at that but then ended up changing the cams, valves & inlet manifold. It just snowballed from there right up to 236bhp!!

Cost me a fortune!! I've said i'll never spend that much tuning a NA engine ever again!! Altho coul do another CRX a hell of a lot cheaper 2nd time around as i'd tried all sorts of different cams & exhausts etc to get what i wanted from it!!

I also had my old Evo 5 remapped. Made a huge difference added with the other mods. Went from 274bhp to 363bhp.

Craig :cool:

Back