Remove door panel with closed door?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjoerd

Hi,

My door lock seems to be broken. I need to find a way to open up my door panel and see if the cable is broken or snatched somewhere. Problem; I can not open my drivers side door. The door panel seems to snatch somewhere. Is there any handy way to either open the door or to remove the panel?

It's a little complicated to enter the car too; moving over isn't very easy with Sparco Evo's installed. Best is to open the window and do it Dukes of Hazard style now :roll: :twisted:

I just re trimmed my door cards and to get the panel off you need to un do 3 screws 2 are phillips the other is torx
the first phillips is in the door handle, the second is in the door compartment the torx is in the middle.
they are all behind little plastic covers.

once undone you have to pull gently on the panel to get it off (easy when you can get to the side of it lol), my first attempt would be to remove the plastic cover in the corner (at the top of the actual door where the window goes down in to, its in the corner, (not top of the door frame) and is held in place with a single clip and two guide runners. a gentle tug gets it off.
you can then try working the door from the corner (slow and steady so as not to break anything lol) the clips holding the panel on will pop with a satisfying sound once you have them out. work your way round the side then bottom then back up the other side.
Fingers crossed the panel will now be off, then you have to unclip the window switches, I found it easier to push the switch through the panel and then un clip it, after that there is a sheet of plasticy stuff covering the mechanisms etc, this should come off easily.
Good luck from then on in, let me know how you get on.

p.s just had a thought it could be your door hinge pins have slipped or are knackered, have you tried getting someone to try and lift the door a little while you try to open it (wind windows down and lift top of frame)

Remove plastic surrond around handle should see door cable pull it if comes out then broke if not then should open unless door is dead locked??

Shanosburgess said:
I just re trimmed my door cards and to get the panel off you need to un do 3 screws 2 are phillips the other is torx
the first phillips is in the door handle, the second is in the door compartment the torx is in the middle.
they are all behind little plastic covers.

once undone you have to pull gently on the panel to get it off (easy when you can get to the side of it lol), my first attempt would be to remove the plastic cover in the corner (at the top of the actual door where the window goes down in to, its in the corner, (not top of the door frame) and is held in place with a single clip and two guide runners. a gentle tug gets it off.
you can then try working the door from the corner (slow and steady so as not to break anything lol) the clips holding the panel on will pop with a satisfying sound once you have them out. work your way round the side then bottom then back up the other side.
Fingers crossed the panel will now be off, then you have to unclip the window switches, I found it easier to push the switch through the panel and then un clip it, after that there is a sheet of plasticy stuff covering the mechanisms etc, this should come off easily.
Good luck from then on in, let me know how you get on.

p.s just had a thought it could be your door hinge pins have slipped or are knackered, have you tried getting someone to try and lift the door a little while you try to open it (wind windows down and lift top of frame)

The panel itself has been off a few times. Hardest part this time is that it is fixed with Renault Megane clips. Perfect fit and really hard to get the panel off :) It's completely loose and the cable still seems to be under tension near the handle. It is just too tight to feel with my hand all the way down to the door lock.

I am going to give it a try to lift up the door :) I'll let you know in half an hour

No succes in trying to force the door open. I put two feet again it and it was still jammed. From the outside I can not open it, nor from the inside using pieces of metal to force the lock. I probably need to smash my door panel to bits and then use a grinder to cut the lock out of the door panel.

Any have other options that are less destructive?

So, can you see the cable from behind the handle cover/trim?

Could you pull it with a pair of pliers? Thin/needle nose ones.....

Can you maybe cut a section out of the door panel to allow you better access rather than smashing it ti bits.

Surely if you can get your hands in you should be able to open it

If I remember rightly the biggest open bit on the inside of the door is in the lower half below the arm rest

You could remove the other door panel to check first

When you lock/unlock can you here motor in door working? Have you looked/felt the cable as you remote unlock? Should be able tofeel if there is mmovement

Another possible less destructive option.

Pull off the rear trim to see if the bolts holding the door lock/catch could be drilled out to release the door then simply rebolt the catch afterwards...might be bit of a fiddle but just an idea

Yes you can, I took the passenger door card out with the door closed

Undo all bolts and screws, then, trickily, try and pop it off the bottom clips, by holding the handle (it will flex) and yanking. Then peel it back, and lift it up out of the window ledge. Bit of wiggling later and it will come off by the dash, remember to unplug the window switch (2 plugs on the drivers side)

Bit of a faff, but it will come.

Allright I managed to open the door using force. I replaced the lock (ouch €101 for the part) and it seems to work now. Weird though is that the handle feels slightly odd AND that with the handle on the passenger (right) side I can still open the doors.. Not the first try, but on the second try it always opens. Now this quite sucks as I live in a horrible neighbourhood. I'm quite worried some crazy f*cker just tries it and opens my car. Do you guys have any clue what might cause this? The motor, cable and the lot seem to be working fine.

Latest posts

Back