Replace power steering hose - good price?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob987_0

I lost power steering on friday so the AA took me to a garage close by. They have quoted £272 for replacing the main pipe?

Does this sound like a reasonable quote? Doesn't seem too bad to me considering the pipe costs just over £100. They are also charging for one way nuts and the fluid.

My pipe and unions if thats what you meant by one way nuts cost £150 and I fitted it myself, I would consider buying the parts and doing it yourself.

quest63 said:
My pipe and unions if thats what you meant by one way nuts cost £150 and I fitted it myself, I would consider buying the parts and doing it yourself.

Yeah I was considering that but the garage is about 12 miles from home so it would be a bit difficult to transport it. I don't want to ruin the pump by trying to drive the car with no power steering.

Would you still drive it?

Ah right. I guess not, even being towed by a mate would be a major pain.

I guess the labour is about 2 hours work ish at Ford prices,took me longer but it was the first time I did it.

Hi there, newbie to site and thought I would continue this query as it follows on...
Mt wife has a 1997 ford puma 1.7 with aircon and the union at the pump (pressure 18mm nut) was leaking. Finally got it undone with an 18mm crows-foot (and now torn knuckles) and checked for a broken seal or oring. No issues found so I replaced union (until it could go no tighter) but pipeline now is loose in the union housing and will not tighten up fully. The union is now seeping fluid quicker than before!
I have checked some forums and some state that you have to replace the union. How? Does the pipe somehow pull out of the union?
Cheers for any help in advance.

When I replaced my pipe the info I had was to tighten up the new unions finger tight then push the pipe ends into the unions.
However I dont know if you will be able to pull the pipe out of the old union without damaging it

quest63 said:
When I replaced my pipe the info I had was to tighten up the new unions finger tight then push the pipe ends into the unions.
However I dont know if you will be able to pull the pipe out of the old union without damaging it

The power steering union can't be removed from the pipe once fitted, the idea of these unions was for the production line, the rack has the unions in on the line and the pipes just pushed in until they clicked and that was it.
If you want to replace the pipe then you need a union as well, there should be a white plastic seal on the union.

Guys any tips for this? Ive an 18mm crowsfoot flex-head, (only six sided) and the bugger wont get close to fitting in the tight space where the two 18mm unions are on the rack itself.
I need to at least undo the lower one, to replace a really badly corroded PAS pipe which then connects to the front PAS cooler double pipe setup. Is the only way to go the bi-hex 18mm crowsfoot flexi head, or does the rack have to be dropped somehow? I had a spare rack with the two unions, and even OFF the car with all the space in the world, this crows foot wouldnt even get close to fitting, I had to swivel the top pipe out of the way, use a normal spanner on the top union, and then I had proper access to the lower 18mm one with a normal spanner, so if it was this much of a pain OFF the car in a garage, what on earth have I got myself into needing to swap a pipe with the rack in place on the car!?

Back