review on sportex 4-2-1 de cat manifold, race tube and back

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spark

Hey guys,
So the other week I went and bought the manifold, mid and back off eBay,
170 for the manifold and same for the race tube and backbox.
They arrived shortly after ordering.
I read a few how to's on the cat/manifold knew it was a little awkward but got the tools and ramps together.

Managed to get all the cat bolts and head bolts out fairly easily with a few days of wd40 first
Took the bottom gearbox mount and torque link off as it was extremely tight to get the fat cat out, lol.
After some time of wiggling, swearing and smoking it came out.
With the manifold I bought some heat wrap off ebay too, 10m for 16 quid I think
Did the manifold with it and only had small amount left.

The manifold went straight on, nipped it up and started on the middle.
I did have a problem here, on the ebay ad it said the race tube mid would fit onto the manifold or std part,
It was half the size and required cutting and clamping onto part of the std mid.
After again some swearing a Fag and a cuppa I set about cutting it up and making it fit snug.
Was fairly easy if I'm honest.
All the rubber lined up, always a good sign.
The backbox, straight on, bit of exhaust paste and bingo.

The only thing I'm waiting on now is a lambda sleeve for the second hole, as it has a blank at the min.
Obviously the CEL light is on.
I did read on here that along as the first lambda is taking readings it shouldn't overfuel?.

Anyway started her up, waited for the exhaust to warm up to dry the paste then took it for a spin,
The difference really is very good.
It is quite loud, not the best exhaust sound I've heared but nice, deep tone too.
I would recommend the Sportex 421, backbox too but if you want a direct fit middle don't buy the Sportex race tube.

Hope this comes in handy to anyone :p

All sounds pretty good and something I might do in the future so thanks for the heads up have seen this system on ebay to.
I wouldnt mind something a bit louder than stock but not to loud!

Have you got just the race tube Andy?, as I said the full manifold,de cat center and back is pretty loud.
Bunch1980, don't get me wrong the system does sound nice with a little rasp but definitely not with the de cat if u want subtle noise.
Will try upload a video soon to show u :)

Looking forward to seeing this vid. I'm looking at getting this system but it all depends on how loud it is as I don't want my car to be too shouty.

Just an update On the exhaust had to weld the mid up as it just wouldn't seal. I will try upload a video of it tomorrow guys

spark said:
Have you got just the race tube Andy?, as I said the full manifold,de cat center and back is pretty loud.
Bunch1980, don't get me wrong the system does sound nice with a little rasp but definitely not with the de cat if u want subtle noise.
Will try upload a video soon to show u :)
yeah got the race tube and the 3 inch backbox.

spark said:
Just an update On the exhaust had to weld the mid up as it just wouldn't seal. I will try upload a video of it tomorrow guys

Not to impressed that the race tube wouldn't seal againt the manifold. Doesn't that mean more work to refit the cat for the mot?

yeah i've got the race tube and back box. Have a similar problem with the middle not sealing and letting out gasses, might have to weld it. Also it really drones, especially at 70mph, I love it though :)

Bit of a pain really, I'm an ex exhaust and tyre fitter so I shouldn't have had a problem but did :/. It's all welded up now sounds a lot better, 70mph is,very deep note, assuming its roughly the same on yours..
I will make and upload a video later guys, will include a little peek at the interior frp's fitted and stripped rear interior :)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2482049567941&saved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
link to the vid of my car on my facebook :)

i think yours is louder than mine; mine doesn't have the 4-2-1 manifold though, yours spits more too :)

Yeah 421 decat, when driving it seems different pops lots coming off revs will get another done with cody, see if I can shoot a flame lol

Back