Revs dropping too slow

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjoerd

Hi guys,

About three months ago the revs started to drop slowly. Back then they went up first to about 3000 rpm before dropping slowly. Offcourse it was very annoying but I managed to fix it. First I cleaned the MAF and the TPS using some special spray by Wynns. It definately made a difference but the problem persisted. Somehow the Clutch Position Sensor fell off and onto my foot, after this the car was even worse. On throttle off it was shaking around.. Anyway I put the sensor back and the high revs re-emerged. I got a new OEM sensor and the problems went away :) So far so good.

However this week it has come back, but only 1 in 3 times that you press the clutch. The revs will go to about 1500 rpm and stay there. Also I have this whenever I start the car in the morning. It rises up and stays there for about 3 minutes, before dropping.

Also some time ago the coolant didn't come up to temperature.. It did when I was driving normally, traffic lights and such, but as soon as I went onto the motorway it dropped. Okay, it was -20 Celsius outside, but still. Next service I was planning to get the thermostat replaced so I will be fine in the future. Perhaps this is related to the above?

Anyway can you guys give me some pointers as to what it might be? The MAF and TPS seem to be in working order, the car shows no errors on the diagnostics and for the rest drives like it should be. I allready check the above and the Clutch Position Sensor..

Thanks!!
Sjoerd

Possibly idle control valve sticking?
possibly a problem with broken wire/s to the power steering pressure sensor?
possible missing or broken rubber cap near to idle control valve / TPS?
Possible brake servo vacum hose air leak?

I had problems with the wiring to the power steering sensor which was intermittent to start with and then became permanent.

Did you take the TPS sensor off and lubricate it?

Good luck with it :thumbs:

quest63 said:
Possibly idle control valve sticking?
possibly a problem with broken wire/s to the power steering pressure sensor?
possible missing or broken rubber cap near to idle control valve / TPS?
Possible brake servo vacum hose air leak?

I had problems with the wiring to the power steering sensor which was intermittent to start with and then became permanent.

Did you take the TPS sensor off and lubricate it?

Good luck with it :thumbs:

Yes I did take the TPS off and lubricated it. Your post makes me think about a wire I saw last weekend when I mounted some new lights. It's all the way at the bottom and was partly missing it's isolation. It seemed to go to the power steering. I'll check this first :)

This is a piccie of the sensor connestor and wires,one of mine was broken just inside the connector so I missed finding it even though I was looking for it.The picture was jackals I think

6896125965_6b01be8198_m.jpg

It was just a matter of replacing it with a used connector which my local Fords cut off an old loom for me.This one had a rubber sleeve around the connector and wire which is how the puma one should have been designed.You can buy them of ebay as well

IMG_0522.jpg

Back