Rob's Steel Blue Puma - First Car Project - Total Novice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I followed the How To guide and managed to change the rear wheel bearing, however, I managed to destroy the abs ring in the process. I've asked Puma Bits on Facebook if they've got an abs ring they can sell, just waiting for a reply.

D'oh! :-(
IMAG0776.jpg

I needed to use the car so I put the wheel back on without the abs ring and drove it with the abs light on the dash. need to sort it this week to get the MOT re-test.

I managed to get an ABS ring from Puma Bits. Got it fitted and passed its MOT. The car is so much quieter with the new bearings.
IMAG0791.jpg

I also got a Piper Cross induction kit from Puma Bits and fitted that yesterday. Thanks to CherryVimto for your help! :grin:
IMAG0799.jpg

Then a quick wash...
IMAG0800.jpg

I bought a milltek de-cat exhaust from a guy on PumaPeople. Got the local garage to fit as the bolts were ruined on the old one and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

I'm not sure if the exhaust is hanging a bit low? Anyone else think it needs lifting a bit higher?
IMAG0903.jpg

Another photo after a quick clean yesterday...
IMAG0889.jpg

Have a look at the hanger above the tail pipe on the rear box. See if it is sitting in the recess for the tail pipe.
I put an Ashley rear box on mine and a 'performance' one on my old Puma. With both of them, the hanger above the tail pipe was too long and would sit in the recess in the bumper.
With the Ashley box, I managed to manipulate it so the hanger pokes in the inside of the bumper, hence allowing it to hang at the right height.

You can get different sizes and thicknesses of rubber mounts too. May you only need to swap the back one for a shorter or stronger rubber.

Just a couple of suggestions from things I've experienced.

You've inspired me to sort out my sills.. hmm might wait till after winter now, nice one for posting the link to the kit, have one for moondust silver. Exhaust wise.. a little low, but just a little, be no probs with it.

CherryVimto said:
Have a look at the hanger above the tail pipe on the rear box. See if it is sitting in the recess for the tail pipe.
I put an Ashley rear box on mine and a 'performance' one on my old Puma. With both of them, the hanger above the tail pipe was too long and would sit in the recess in the bumper.
With the Ashley box, I managed to manipulate it so the hanger pokes in the inside of the bumper, hence allowing it to hang at the right height.

You can get different sizes and thicknesses of rubber mounts too. May you only need to swap the back one for a shorter or stronger rubber.

Just a couple of suggestions from things I've experienced.

Thanks for that, I'll probably have to get a new rubber mount but I'll have a look underneath first.

grayfox said:
You've inspired me to sort out my sills.. hmm might wait till after winter now, nice one for posting the link to the kit, have one for moondust silver. Exhaust wise.. a little low, but just a little, be no probs with it.

I noticed when washing the car there's little specs of rust appearing on some of the bits I resprayed. The Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 doesn't seem to have done a very good job. I'll probably wait till the better weather next year to have another go, and use a different rust inhibitor.

It's been a very long time since I last posted, but there's been quite a bit of progress over the last few months. Firstly, back in march a neighbour reversed in to the door. He was adamant that he wanted to through his insurance instead of giving me £200 to repair (I think he felt so guilty). Anyway I got a pay out of £750 from his insurance, and used that to buy a door off ebay for £50. I then give £700 to the local body shop for them to do as much respray work as possible.

So, the new door arrived with lots of white tape stuck to it, and a big dent in the middle. I still put it on the car as it was a lot better than the old door which got hit. Plus it was easier and cheaper for the body shop to repair.
IMAG1995.jpg

I then took the car to the body shop and they had it for nearly three months, working on it as a side job to keep the costs down.

They repaired the door and sills, and welded some patches on the front wings which were rotten. They then resprayed the front bumper, bonnet, and both sides of the car. I bought some black indicator repeaters which they fitted for me.

For £700, I think it's looking awesome now.

SI850117.jpg

SI850129.JPG

SI850126.JPG

SI850124.JPG

SI850122.JPG

SI850137.JPG

SI850136.JPG

SI850133.JPG

SI850132.JPG

SI850147.JPG

SI850146.JPG

SI850140.JPG

SI850139.JPG

SI850138.JPG

SI850157.JPG

SI850156.JPG

SI850155.JPG

SI850148.JPG

SI850169.JPG

SI850167.JPG

SI850161.JPG

SI850160.JPG

SI850158.JPG

SI850182.JPG

SI850181.JPG

SI850180.JPG

SI850179.JPG

SI850183.JPG

That's looking nice now, don't blame you getting as much work as you can out insurance money. I would of done the same.
You got any other plans for the car?

Back