Rob's Steel Blue Puma - First Car Project - Total Novice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully the springs will settle a little lower.

Have you moved the car forwards and back wards to settle the suspension yet?

ewizzy said:
Hopefully the springs will settle a little lower.

Have you moved the car forwards and back wards to settle the suspension yet?

I've been driving the car for a couple of days now and it's still the same. Doesn't look like it's going to settle any lower at all :-(

I bought the same springs. I don't think the back of mine is lower by 40mm, but it does seem more level with the front. Did you measure the new rear spring against the old ones? I did, and they were the same size.

I had to change my front spring, but did all of them for peace of mind. If it did end up any lower then that's a bonus, but as for the cost, I'm not going to grumble about them.

CherryVimto said:
I bought the same springs. I don't think the back of mine is lower by 40mm, but it does seem more level with the front. Did you measure the new rear spring against the old ones? I did, and they were the same size.

I had to change my front spring, but did all of them for peace of mind. If it did end up any lower then that's a bonus, but as for the cost, I'm not going to grumble about them.

When I got the springs I put them next to the old ones and the old ones were actually quite a bit shorter :? . I thought they must have just lost their springiness over time.

I thought about contacting FK but it's probably not worth is as they're now used. Will just leave it for now I think and get some coilovers in the near future.

As my new lowering springs haven't made the car any lower at all, I decided to cut them just as an experiment.

So I started by removing the rear springs. As you can see they are the same length as the originals...
IMAG0639.jpg

I then removed one ring from the top and one ring from the bottom of each spring...
IMAG0643.jpg

Put the springs back on the car and it now looks much better. I took it for a test drive and it was spot on, better than before even.
IMAG0644.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

I then did the same with the front springs...
IMAG0649.jpg

The only problem I've got now is a small gap here which is causing knocking when driving...
IMAG0659.jpg

Not sure what's causing the gap. Had a look on the forum and it seems a few people have had this problem. It seems that there's no thread left for the top nut to go any further down. If I can get a half nut to replace the one which holds the spring in place it should give a few mm to get the top nut further down.

quest63 said:
Did you fit new topmounts? perhaps worn compressed top mounts is causing the gap?

I didn't no, I thought about that but the problem wasn't there before I cut the springs so not sure if it's the top mounts.

it's normal to have these gaps (in front and in rear) even with new top mounts, all because of strut-weight cup (funnel with rubbered edge) hight...

ps sorry for my english if any

FastForward said:
it's normal to have these gaps (in front and in rear) even with new top mounts, all because of strut-weight cup (funnel with rubbered edge) hight...

ps sorry for my english if any

I don't think the gap I've got is normal, it definitely wasn't there before. You can't really tell in the picture but it's about 5mm. I'm pretty sure that is what's causing the knocking.

i have such gaps on all my shocks for five years: with original very old shocks on old top mounts; with original quality new shocks on old top mounts; with new sport lowered shocks, struts and new top mounts; a week ago i replaced rear shocks to original quality ones and still have them, not 5mm, but... and some times i hear knocking of cource.

yippeekiay said:
Try the half nuts as you suggested, can't do any harm as I put them on for a different reason when I fitted my coilovers.

Yeah I will do. Do you know what size the nuts are? I was thinking M12 but I'm not certain.

The Damper Weight (certainly on later Puma), acts as a "spacer", preventing the gap from being fully closed. If the suspension is free-hanging, this gap will disappear.
One or two people have machined the DW to reduce/remove the gap.

yippeekiay said:
Sorry Rob, can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday so a nut size is well out of my grasp :lol:

Hey no probs, found out they are M12 nuts so ordered some from ebay. Just ordered some AP coilovers so they may come in handy when I fit them.

Hi, I've just read your thread and I'm so impressed, this will help me when I do mine, its only hard if you don't know what to do, this thread helps with that. Can this thread be printed at home. Would make it so much easier ?? Well done you must have the patents of a saint.

rnnicol said:
Hi, I've just read your thread and I'm so impressed, this will help me when I do mine, its only hard if you don't know what to do, this thread helps with that. Can this thread be printed at home. Would make it so much easier ?? Well done you must have the patents of a saint.

Hi thanks very much! I did find it difficult at times but it's great being able to learn as I go! You can try printing it but it might take quite a few sheets of paper.

This thread is definitely worth a look, the guy did a whole underbody restoration. It helped me.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi thanks very much! I did find it difficult at times but it's great being able to learn as I go! You can try printing it but it might take quite a few sheets of paper.

This thread is definitely worth a look, the guy did a whole underbody restoration. It helped me.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, Thanks for sharing that project on detailingworld. Really tempted to do my underbody now! :p

My new AP coilovers arrived...

IMAG0733.jpg

One of the drop links snapped when removing the old struts, so I installed new drop links on both sides. Just bought some cheap ones £10 off ebay.
IMAG0734.jpg

I also bought new rear top mounts from Euro Car parts, £13 each. They were a bit squeaky so I put the old ones back on and returned the new ones. Maybe I will have to buy the expensive ones from Ford next time for £28 each.

As the coilover threads are too short, I left the weights off the front, and on the back, I removed the nuts securing the top mounts once the coilovers were secured...
IMAG0738.jpg

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

I bought a car paint repair kit off ebay to try and repair some of the major rust spots
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221133699611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
I'm not bothered about a perfect finish as I'm going to be spraying the car with plasti dip.

Grinded and treated with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80...
IMAG0695.jpg

Grey primer...
IMAG0696.jpg

Medium Steel Blue spray paint...
IMAG0699.jpg

Also did this on both sides. Luckily the bottom of the sills aren't rotten, just surface rust. Just treated with Hydrate 80, primed and sprayed medium steel blue. Looks so much better now.
IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0759.jpg

Door Slam...
IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

Then this...
IMAG0711.jpg

IMAG0712.jpg

IMAG0749.jpg

I sprayed Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 down the underneath of the window seal on both sides to add some protection to the paint underneath, and slow down any more corrosion.
IMAG0716.jpg

IMAG0713.jpg

I bought four Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres from Camskill for about £32 each and had them fitted for £40. Massive improvement over the old tyres :grin: .

I then put all the interior back in and gave the car a quick clean...
IMAG0760.jpg

IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0763.jpg

MOT failed yesterday, need to replace O/S rear wheel bearings so will have to do that within the next two weeks so I can get it re-tested. Hopefully Haynes will be able to help me!
Pretty pleased that that's the only thing to fail :grin:

Back