Rocker cover gasket changed but burning oil

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyeff

Ok I had a panic that my head gasket went. Got someone to look over it and all it required was a rocker cover gasket. My plugs were swimming. Now it's burning oil when I hammer it and to be honest it not pleasant. Really need to go under and clear the oil.

Any ideas where I could look. I had oil on the gear box so not sure if it's burning from there or not

Don't think there'd be enough heat from the gearbox to burn oil off :eek:
I would check that the new gasket has sealed properly on the exhaust side. Sounds like it's leaking on to the exhaust manfold :wink:

Ok, Al have a climb under tonight and see if I can get it cleaned. Was thinking of jet washing it. Any thoughts?

If its burning oil out of the exhaust when you hammer it, just changing the oil and filter will sometimes help.

If its burning oil from under the bonnet then yes, it sounds as though the gasket is maybe not seated correctly or not tightened down evenly/properly.

Jet washing does not normally cause problems but may be helpful to put tape over some electrical components just to avoid shorts, make sure you dry it afterwards of course

Dannyeff said:
Ok, Al have a climb under tonight and see if I can get it cleaned. Was thinking of jet washing it. Any thoughts?

Personally I wouldnt I would do it by hand with gunk and rags and as little water as poss

So the rocker cover gasket has been doing its job I tried cleaning up from what I believe is most of the oil and its still burning. Any ideas?

I have the same problem it's booked in for Friday for gasket but has oil everywhere underneath. I too need a way to clean it easily please? Thanks

I just hand cleaned it. Btw is 73quid good for an exhaust supplied and fitted?

Been told brake cleaner will remove the oil and then wash off with a hose? Any thoughts

I got great results with Surfex HD (diluted 1:4) a spray bottle, paint brush, rags and a hose to rinse off. Set the hose to a gentle shower. nothing the engine bay can't cope with. Keep it away from intakes/breathers etc though.

Surfex does well without agitation in most cases. Gunk is pricey and not very good in comparison. Surfex at 1:20 is a pretty good wheel and tyre cleaner too.

Where is the evidence of the burn? Smoke out of the exhaust or around the engine bay?

Were the plug chambers cleaned? Ideally not by letting the oil drain in to the chamber as that would cause what you're describing.

Back