Rotten steering pipes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerB

Today was fixing rust on the front of my old Puma and faced this problem. The steering pipes on the front of the car cracked due to heavy rust. Offcourse all the servo oil came out of there so my power steering is gone now.

20161009_182244_zpswfh7l7p7.jpg

20161009_182417_zpslb4zuwat.jpg

20161009_182446_zpsfankoekq.jpg

Now i have a spare puma for parts but i noticed the power steering lines on the front are not the same. On the spare Puma i got they return in one way, as show here:

20161009_182317_zps3rjjh5e7.jpg

Anyone else knows about this difference? Are the ones i need the same as on the Fiesta?
So it looks like i need one of these Ford part nr. 1044829

Can I have my engine running with the steering pump running dry now or will i do damage to it?

Another problem is, the rust is even further on the 2nd part of the hose too. When comparing to the pictures of the breaking puma lines to mine, you see mine make an angle, run next to the gearbox and then go above the subrame. Anyone know where they end up and if it is easy to replace/repair?

Lots of questions, i hope i can find the right parts from a scrapyard from a fiesta maybe? 110 pounds for some steering pipes is too much for me.. Or maybe i can make my own in copper?

They changed in March 1998 so what you are looking at is the older style.

You other car is newer?

Needs to be a 1.25, 1.4 or 1.6 Fiesta of a similar age to your Puma.

Thanks for the info Ian, yes it's a 1997 Puma. Would you have a good one available for me?

I hope my steering pump is not broken, it made weird noises before i realized what was going on and turned off the engine...

Air in the system gives those noises, usually no major damage if its not run for too long.

Nothing to sell you though, very rare indeed to find a good one.

This site was my last hope to find a good one :) Probably i'll have no other option then to buy a new one, if they are still available.
Is there a difference in RHD and LHD vehicles for this part?

Not sure if they differ for RHD, catalogue does list two part numbers for the same date range.

Also no reason I can think why you can't upgrade to the new style, just more to change.

Rack should be the same and if they both have AC or both don't the PAS pump will be in the same place.

Bottle is different on the newer ones but you can retain your bottle, outlets are in the same place I think.

Fordparts UK had new ones in stock a few years ago as I bought one. Give them a shout but make sure you get the right one. There are two - one with male and one with female connectors. From memory, the more expensive is the right one (internal union threads).

Edit - looks like the car you want to repair is the more complicated later ones which they also have in stock. Early ones are the simple loop like your last pciture.

I think I'm getting confused.... But take a look at fordpartsuk as they do have some stock I think.

Hi Tyler
I've been watching this with interest to see who said what in case there was a cheap fix for mine. I've thought for a long time that if you can take the whole of the pipes off and deliver them to a shop that makes pipes for plant (Site works machinery), you may be able to get something made up with better products such as braided lines and rust free pipes. Mine are pretty rusty but I don't want to replace with Ford ones as they will rust again. Ian G is definitely your best bet if you want to replace with standard, though.
Good luck
Barry

I think I might have had the last available set of new ford power steering pipes. I got them from John Wilby on the facebook group.

When you think how long the original ones have lasted i wouldn't have an issue fitting another part the same. . Surely pumas won't last another 16 years will they. .lol :lol:

If they are available as a new part that is.. :?

In my experience, never presume they are not available unless you've actually tried to order one

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]357310[/post] When you think how long the original ones have lasted i wouldn't have an issue fitting another part the same. . Surely pumas won't last another 16 years will they. .lol :lol:

Ah, that reminds me Chris..... :wink: I do have a new set to go on little black.... and a new engine mounting, and.....

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]357310[/post] When you think how long the original ones have lasted i wouldn't have an issue fitting another part the same. . Surely pumas won't last another 16 years will they. .lol :lol:

In my experience, never presume they are not available unless you've actually tried to order one

As said, FordpartsUK seem to have stock http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/for...in_hose_from_1997_to_1998_f_1044829_c_710.htm- pricey mind but you won't need to be worrying about it again for a long time!

Puma Babe said:
[post]357295[/post] I think I might have had the last available set of new ford power steering pipes
Did you go on to sell your set to FordpartsUK or something? Bizarre thread. :p

Btw... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Fiesta-MK4-5-Power-Steering-Pipes-1997-1998-Finis-1044829-/311660893590 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162200593232?clk_rvr_id=1109030223730&rmvSB=true ....damn things are breeding like flies now!

I was told that the fiesta ones are different to the Puma ones and didn't notice, these are the older ones, mines the later model

Puma Babe said:
[post]357327[/post] I was told that the fiesta ones are different to the Puma ones
That's why it's always best to check and double check everything for yourself - http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=1404124&s_id_model=2&s_code_image=C221590405

For future reference for other people, here's details of the other ('loop') version - http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=1404178&s_id_model=2&s_code_image=C221600407

Puma Babe said:
[post]357330[/post] how do you get the prices for the parts on that site?
No idea, sorry. I only use that site for the Ford Part Number catalogue. - http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford

After weeks of searching I didn't manage to get a proper one so there was not much choice left for me. So in the end, I followed The Arch Bishop's advice and went for a new one. It took ages to get to my Ford dealer. Gave it a 2 coats of anti rust primer because it has zero rust protection. No wonder they rust so quickly. All good now! Will be fitting it next week.

tuonokid said:
[post]357293[/post]
I've thought for a long time that if you can take the whole of the pipes off and deliver them to a shop that makes pipes for plant (Site works machinery), you may be able to get something made up with better products such as braided lines and rust free pipes.

This should be the best option in the future as this part is rare and expensive, shouldn't be too hard, most important would be to make the connectors strong enough to resist the pressure. Other option would be to build over the complete system to have the looped model, which is far more common and easy to find. I'm not sure but I even think I already crossed a looped model in pvc on a fiesta, not sure though.

Hi Tyler
If the connectors are made for plant they should be plenty strong enough for power steering.
Barry

Back