Running rich - additives?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v0y4ger

Hi all,

I've been told that the engine is running a bit rich, and there's a slight judder when I take my foot off the gas. I have got a blowing exhaust and had put this problem down to that before the running rich thing was discovered. I wondered what the best remedy for this could be. Could I add anything into the petrol to help clear things out. I've thought about changing the fuel filter and maybe the air filter to see if that helped. Acceleration is smooth and it turns over a second after I turn the key.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Jen

Jen,

First bit of advice - take it to a competent garage who can actually tell you if it is running rich or not.

In the meantime, what sort of fuel economy are you getting or don't you track it? It would help if we knew the model too.

Magic gloop poured into the tank isn't going to help, so save yourself some money on that. No additives are approved for use in the Puma, your handbook simply says 'Don't' and that's not bad advice.

A new air filter can do no harm whatsoever. When was it last changed?

I was told by my main Ford man aka Richard at Tremona garage in Southampton, to put a bottle of Wynns injector cleaner into the tank, it worked well, curing the problem you have when lifting off, as above Ford dont recommend using additives, but i can afford a new engine if mine blows, also i put a can of slick 50 into my engine at 1500 miles, with no detrimental effect and no real improvement either.

I put ZX1 in my car when I bought it and swear by it. I've had noticeable improvements regarding performance and economy on all the cars I've added it too in the past. Touch wood my engines still sweet 15,000 miles later.

Might have a go at the Wynn's injector cleaner just to give the injectors a clean. I have no judder problem but anything to help it run cleaner can't be a bad thing although I think the acetone I added to the fuel a while back cleaned the old girl out ;)

Putting Vpower into a car without an adjusted ECU, will just be a waste of money.

Tyeboi, if you drive your car with a good bootful of throttle, then the ECU adjusts to give you maximun fuel, so when you suddenly lift off, the ECU takes a second or 2 to adjust and compensate, hence symptoms you have, Wynns injector cleaner has eased this problem for me, but not cured it - another Puma trait presumably!!

Back