Saturday = Full Service

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e3silversurfer

Date: Saturday 2nd May 09
Venue: My home
Itinerary: Full servicing

I am thinking of doing a full servicing for my black puma. thins to change are as follows

- pollen filter (std ford issue)
- fuel filter (std ford issue)
- engine oil (Castrol Magnetec 5W30)
- oil filter (std ford issue)
- spark plugs (Denso ITV16)

other jobs

- replace head gasket seal (leaking engine oil behind)
- change passengerside window glass (mine currently has got a hairline scratch
- change rear passenger side lamp (developed a crack in the transparent lens
- replace passenger front seat

Any one have any reminders that I must note before doing all these?? any help appreciated ;)

Use some high temperature sealant with the head gasket seal, and slightly warmed engine oil will make it a bit easier to change.

Those sump plugs are being pushed hard on Passionford - sound theory. But that might be as the site owner sells them..lol.

my puma has a slight leak aswell doin the cam cover gasket and hopefully it cures it, head gasket seal? is that the head gasket itself which means head off?

Not a head off job no. Sorry, should have called it a Rocker cover gasket rather than just a head gasket.
It's the seal between the rocker cover and the top of the head.

The original Mini had a magnetic sump-plug, as the engine and gearbox were combined.
They used to have quite a lot of metal debris on them (from the gearbox?) at the oil changes, which would otherwise have been circulating around the engine.
Using a magnetic plug won't do any harm, maybe some good. I was thinking of fitting one at the next service.

i used a sump bolt with a magnet on once.....it fell off & dissapeared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im not sure whether the engine ate it or whether it was still attached when my engine builder dipped the sump in acid to clean it (hes a clean freak like me!) either way; when i rebuilt the engine later to add arp rod bolts i sh@t myself, ripped the bottom end apart, couldnt find it & drove with a tense bum hole for quite a while!!!!!

this was way back when i had a cvh fezza beastie. i cud go round roundabouts so fast (quaife diff; there seems to be a pattern here...!) the oil would surge in the sump, starve the cam & id have 5 miles of rattley engine before the valves stopped going up & down!!!! i cured that by baffling the sump myself & to stop the remnants of camshaft eating the bearing shells i stuck a chuffing huge divers magnet on the (steel) sump. by my next oil change it had magnetized the entire sump & the inside was fluffly with iron fillings!!

so basically they are good but personally i dont like things that could fall off inside my engine being put...er...inside my engine!!!!!!!!

iv done the same with a gearbox in the past.....ever have any 'spare' bits left? i have; the magnet!!!!! used another divers magnet (liberated from the army when i left!!!) as it was so powerful it was attracted to the diff through the alloy casing!!!!!!!!!!! (i swear i could use one to propel myself on a sketeboard if i aimed it at a moving car!!!!!!!)

ps; one of the reasons i got a stainless tool box; i couldnt get the f3ckers to let go of my old steel one!!!!!! weighed a ton & i could drag the whole box round the garage swearing at the little &^%&*()!!!!!!!

thinking of using this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-Performance-O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 240%3A1318

1) does it fit?? ( i am thinking it does)
2) anyone used it before??
3) is it worth getting??

Had meant to do a 'self-service' on mine a couple of weeks ago.... but haven't had time and so on.

So it is set for some time between now and the middle of May.

Is there anything in a general/full service of the 1.7 that can cause any problems? Or is fairly straight forward?

8)

Back