Scanned the ECU - these faults came up - advice?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulyV

Morning - hope you are well. Not posted in a while as the Puma has been fine.

Over the past few weeks it has been stalling when pulling up to lights and running rough when idling. I have changed:

MAF sensor
ICV

No joy so have had it scanned. The following errors have come up:

>>>>

PO460:
Invalid fuel tank message from cluster

PO122:
Throttle Position Sensor low

P1381:
Variable Cam timing overadvanced, Bank A

I am told these are the possible causes of this last error code

Cam timing improperly set
No oil flow to piston chamber
Low oil Pressure
Solenoid valve stuck closed
Camshaft advance mechanism binding

>>>>

Any thoughts? I suspect only one of these is causing the issue, and most likely the last of these. I don't think the timing is improperly set - it was changed 5k ago and has been fine. I'd like to gather some insight prior to spending more cash. The only 'usual' thing I have not changed is the crankshaft position sensor - could that cause these issues?

Thanks in advance

Pauly

Hi Paul
Did you have the cambelt replaced 5k ago? If you did and the procedure was not carried out correctly, in particular tensioning the cambelt, under certain circumstances the inlet cam can jump teeth on the belt causing the timing to go off. This causes the symptoms that you describe. If a garage did the change take the car back and ask them to check the cam timing. If you did the belt change then check the timing yourself with the timing tools but either way if the timing is out the cam timing and belt tensioning procedure will have to be carried out again so you will require a new stretch bolt for the inlet cam pulley. I helped a guy out on here a couple of years ago with exactly this problem which kept happening a few times in the end I had to speak to his mechanic to explain the tensioning procedure and once he got it the problem was solved. Have a look at Gates technical bulletin 036 for further info.
Barry

New throttle position sensor appears to have done the trick - running fine now.

Latest posts

Back