Shaky steering wheel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellybean

Afternoon all!!
I'm in need of some help. Only got my Puma last night and already its peeing me off lol. Driving along in it and when i reach 40mph+ the steering wheel violently shakes. So much so thats its REALLY hurting my arms. Theres also a really weird squeakin comming from inside the car somewhere.
Anyone got any ideas please??????? :grin:

1st thoughts : Tracking should be your 1st port of call. Then suspension components, namely the top mounts at the front are ok, and that your shocks still have oil in them.

Has it had a kerbing or pot hole bashed into it a wheel recently? Ask a garage to see if a wheel is buckled or not.

Does it vibrate when coasting over 40mph or just under load? (Possible driveshaft / cv joint worn)

I got it from a dealer. It only went through the MOT yesterday 2. We'll have a look at the tracking then cheers

If you've only just got it from a dealer and it's as bad as you describe then i'd be asking the dealer to get it going smoothly!

Did it not show up on the test drive?

I'd definitely take it back to the dealer. Regardless of whether there was any warranty offered when you purchased, you expect to buy a car in a driveable condition.

Let us know how you get on. :eek:k:

HHmmm, suppose it would help if i knew the slightest thing about cars lol. Thanks 4 all the advice :thumbs:
just checked the tyres and they were only 22psi :wall: hopefully that will help

Well the bloke said i had 3 months but he was as dodgy as....

My other half works 4 fords so with any luck he'll be able 2 help ((fingers crossed)) I dont want a sick Puma :-(

Apart from that...it drives lurvly :)

Verbal only. It was such a nice car i didn't expect it 2 get ill after 24hrs lol

I know, i know...dumb essex girl right?!?! lol

We all make mistakes you are not the first and wont be the last there are a few people on here with a story to tell. I bought a car (not the puma) about 12 months ago thought it was a good car, i got it so wrong. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing.

The one saving grace is you have bought a great car, and if something is wrong it wont be to much hassel and expense to put right

This is true, most things are quite cost effective to resolve esp if you know people in the trade!

If you have to fix it yourself i'd defo start with

Tyre pressure
Balancing (check wheels for buckles at the same time)
Tracking

And hope its sorted after that.

Jellybean said:
Verbal only. It was such a nice car i didn't expect it 2 get ill after 24hrs lol

I know, i know...dumb essex girl right?!?! lol

I'd still take it back to them, regardless of whether you got a warranty or not. If they refuse to do anything, just tell them you'll take it Trading Standards. Whatever they sell, it must be fit for the purpose intended. i.e. driving! If it's as bad as you say, it could be dangerous.

Whatever you do, don't let push them you around. If it helps, take someone with you. Preferably male, older and bigger than them! (Although they're not meant to discriminate, some mechanics and salesmen can't seem to help themselves.) :roll:

Latest posts

Back