smartphone

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A locked phone is cheaper than an unlocked phone but you can get it unlocked for a few quid so it will work on any network. I don't know why you are worried about using a smart phone abroad ..... I took mine to Spain and Poland. They are no different to any other phone, you just switch the settings to what you need.

BenF said:
it is a real minefield - and I thought it would be simple!
Far from it mate, that's why I resisted buying a smartphone only this week. I reverted to a contract type that I like the most (sim only) and actually received my new sim today (Tuesday) and will port my current number over (just need a PAC code from you current provider to give to your new one if you change providers). I only need for calls and the odd text here and there like yourself and feel having the extra features of a smartphone is a waste of money as I won't use them or the time using them will divert me from doing more productive things. As you travel a lot then it may be of benefit as you can browse the internet much easier than a 'normal' phone.

May be worth ringing Orange up for a PAC code as that's when they WILL start throwing decent offers at you that you will not get by simply taking an upgrade off them without asking for any deals.

In the end I will be paying £2.67 a month after redemptions (some people don't like to do this as if you forget to email/send in the relevant bill(s) you lose the claim). I get 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB of downloads - all being more than enough to cover my needs.

I won't tell you how much a month I pay for my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 but what I will say is that I regularly get texts to say I'm nearing my data allowance on both, 1gb and 2gb download respectively. I have more calls and texts than I can ever hope to use a month.

I was never an apple person untill I used my ex's iPhone 3 that I bought her as I always had Ericsson's and Sony Ericsson phones as I never liked the way the Nokia's worked. I bought her a Galaxy S3 and found the operation system to be confusing as I could never find what I was looking for, I've found the same happening on every Samsung phone and tablet I've used. I can't say about new Nokia's as I've not used them nor will I probably use them in the future due to past experiences. The iOS platform is so simple to use that I get my nan asking to look stuff up on the iPad.

It's all down to personal choice and I like many others before me will say go and try a few see which one you prefer

yippeekiay said:
In the end I will be paying £2.67 a month after redemptions (some people don't like to do this as if you forget to email/send in the relevant bill(s) you lose the claim). I get 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB of downloads - all being more than enough to cover my needs.

OMG - how did you do it!!!?

I’m with evilrob to a degree with the iPhone thing. Yeah it’s a pompous image but the fact is that iPhones are pretty, reliable and a monkey could use one – a great way to get into the smartphone world.

BUT…

Haste not as if you start with an iPhone you’re likely to get sucked into the Apple ‘religion’ – and that gets messy. You end up getting a MacBook so you can ‘sync’ everything, then you get a Dock that only fits your iPhone (Because normal AUX inputs aren’t apparently good enough), then you impulse buy and iPad to show off to your mates and before you know it you’re pissing your life away in coffee shops pretending you’re more important than the rest of the room because your ‘premium’ gadgetry makes you somehow more powerful.

iPhones are also very restricted (unless you know how to jailbreak them which I’m guessing you don’t) and ultimately make you part with more money – what with the lack of free apps compared with Android, all the pointless add-ons & gadgets and things.

My advice? Consider Sony. They run their own version of android and are doing some jaw-droppingly gorgeous looking phones at the minute with the tech and the hardware to match – without being too complicated to use. Samsung Galaxy Series (I have an S3) might confuse you a little, and HTC are a no-no at the minute.

I mean, look at that.. Phwaar!

sony-xperia-z-colours-580x358.jpg

But whatever you pick or whatever you choose – DON’T do Windows Phone. They’re like diet iPhones and just not worth it at the minute.

Good luck!

Midnight Blue said:
OMG - how did you do it!!!?
A little bit of research Pat. No secret formula but that ;)

Just checked where I got it from and it's now gone up to £4 a month effective cost so I got mine just in time for an extra free month (10 free out of 12 rather than 9 now.)

http://www.e2save.com/sim-only/contract/o2/O2-Pay-Monthly-SIM.html?network=o2&tariffcode=l02oefeb13#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you take a look on that site alone there are numerous smart phone contracts for £10 a month or less effective cost after redemption.

bennymc said:
But whatever you pick or whatever you choose – DON’T do Windows Phone. They’re like diet iPhones and just not worth it at the minute.

Good luck!

Really? After playing around with a Lumia 900 last weekend, I'm seriously considering one. The OS is fantastic. As for the supposed lack of apps, everything I need and use daily is there.

I wouldn't take a Lumia with me running anyway - it's a serious brute of a phone.

ive got the 820 and it does everything i need it to only apps i am missing is sky go and sky+ but i was informed last night that they wont be put on for windows :(

mix2000 said:
As for security, Apple can be as bad as Android
Threats in 2012 by platform according to security firm F-Secure:

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-07%20at%2019.43.47.png

Source:
http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/labs_global/Research/Mobile%20Threat%20Report%20Q4%202012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:|

Neil said:
bennymc said:

Good luck!

Really? After playing around with a Lumia 900 last weekend, I'm seriously considering one. The OS is fantastic. As for the supposed lack of apps, everything I need and use daily is there.
Nice looking interface? Yes.
Easy to use? I suppose so.
Fast? Probably

But the more you use a WP the more you realise just how much better everyone else is at it than them.

For a start there's no Bluetooth, bit like an iPhone. So if your mate has this file you want on his phone and you're in the pub then no-can-do. Then there's Zune. Zune is the Acid to iTunes's Alkaline - opposite ends of the spectrum but both a pain in the backside. While I agree the interface is nice, I feel the lack of personalisation lets it down and I feel it will soon be outdated with all those squares and sharp edges everywhere. And the lack of apps does get annoying, even the existing apps aren't updated as often as on other platforms.

At the end of the day, it's down to you and what you want out of your device. I know you're just starting out with smartphones so perhaps something 'predetermined' would be an idea. But it's not long before you get used to them and what they can do and start to look at what other peoples phone can do and say... 'wish my phone could do that'.

I choose android as it will do whatever you want it to do, when you want it to do it.

Apple and Microsoft are like rich friends - they'll throw you the most amazing birthday party, but then make you do all the things they wanted to do.

martinthrapston said:
nokia lumia 820/900 has bluetooth on it as ive used it
I think he means you can't transfer files between devices as easily as Android->Android.

Cos sending an email with an attachment is so much more work. Oh no, wait - exactly the same number of taps. :roll:

martinthrapston said:
nokia lumia 820/900 has bluetooth on it as ive used it
To transfer a file?

This problem is well known in WP phones. An example:

Look, I respect your decision to disallow BT file transfer on WP, but think of it this way. What can be more stupid than standing next to my friend and having to use my data plan (my Expensive data plan) to transfer a pic I just snapped of him with my phone? Nothing can be more stupid, right? Wrong! Because the Bluetooth in WP can pair with songs and podcasts in Music & Videos hub, but cannot pair with video and radio in the same hub. And about that Radio, the fact that I need a separate antenna just to listen to radio in 2012, makes me feel like a relic of the 19th century.

Source http://www.wpsauce.com/2012/05/windows-phones-suck.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meh. It's just what I read - I stand corrected

But I still feel WP is lagging compared with competition. I'd also like to clarify that I'm not 'anti' Windows Phone. I just don't recommend them, yet.

Bluetooth really isn't an issue - I think the last time I transferred a file using Bluetooth was in 2006, and as for music, I have an iPod.

Latest posts

Back