ST170 conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyboy3535

does anyone know of or know if it's possible to put a ST170 focus engine into a puma? I have an ST engine and a puma in need of an engine and before I attempt it thought I'd pick some brains.

ooooh, sounds interesting. Hopefully it's an option. Might be worth asking PumaSpeed PumaBuild etc see what they reckon too.

Seems like a lot of effort to gain 10PS (9.86bhp) over a Racing Puma tuned 1.7...

Colin, it'll probably be cheaper and easier fitting an engine you've already got than trying to source a puma engine these days.

Edit:
Although Dal's just mentioned something about the engine mounts being different as it's a Duratec engine, and a generation newer than the puma. Could be more work than my initial thought.

OK, well here's some things to consider that you might need to overcome with an engine swap...

ECUs
Engine mounts
Gearbox mounts
Gear selector position and gate
Engine bay clearance for the 6 speed box (shared with the Mini Cooper S incidentally, not IB5 based)
Clearance between the front slam panel to the inlet manifold
Increased engine weight
Driveshafts
Exhaust fittings
Getting the induction to fit
Relocating the battery

The Focus has a more space under the bonnet, especially in depth and height.

It can definitely be done but at what cost...? If it gave twice the power of the standard Puma running gear I'd understand...like Pumabuild's Focus ST conversion...

providing you dont mind spending some money along the way then you will be able to fit a ST170 engine in a puma, theres plenty of room in there for it.

but like bok says there will need to be alot of custom made parts, engine mounts etc etc, and it wont be an easy conversion.

Pumaspeed are the best people to deal with IMO

agree with bok....plus;

basically the st170 gearbox will not fit; chassis rails dont leave enough room. i wouldnt cut the chassis so that means using the std gearbox....

the ib5 aint strong......you will need to throw a fair bit of money at it. look up Competition Transmission Services; they will sort you out.

after that its whether u need to change the engine mount, any plumbing & wiring extensions, custom exhaust section........

Ok, I'll give that one a miss then. looks like a 1.7 lump then. Just thought while putting in an engine could try something different.
Thanks for advice people

My bf is having doubts taking this engine you're talking about or just take a cosworth ... After reading several fast fords / performance fords :D He just can't make up his mind :p

I would stick to the 1.7 and try some things out with this engine. According to my bf you can get out 200 bhp easily. How? Dunno, I should ask David :cool:

That's one of those engines that's stickered as a Duratec but is really a common or garden 16V Zetec with a cast block. The only exception is the VCT that the ST170 engine has.

With all due repect if I where to spend out on an RS engine I may as well buy a whole new car with the speed already there. They are not cheap or common. So that's why the st 170 engine was an idea.

chris3boro said:
DradusContact said:
ST170: The engine for people who couldnt afford an RS.

You could say that about loads of cars though.

I think that if you want an RS engine, buy the whole car, or is this stupid thought?

Why would be the ST170 be less then an RS (okay performance is difference), all fine pieces of material art :cool:

Back