Stage Car Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, the only problem is we know nothing about setting up megasquirt or tuning an engine so it's going to be a massive learning curve. I'm surprised how well it ran on the stock ECU without the MAF though, will be intersting to see how it drives on the road with the stock ECU and no MAF.

Will be very interesting to see how it performs as you say. Lets hope it's a big improvement. :eek:k:

How or what should I say is the arrangement for the air filter going to be or haven't you decided yet. i.e are you just going to cone each one seperately or have some kind of 4 into 1 plenum type chamber getting a feed from the front of the car in mind?? (Which you could 'splice' to fit in the MAF if needed).

Also, what made you go with the gixxer thou' bodies as I heard the 750's were used in the past with great results. My guess is they could be an improvement as they should have a bigger capacity so you may be able to tune the car up with the megasquirt to utilise that. Plus I'm also thinking they may have a bigger spacing between each other as they look to fit the cut off manifold fairly in line going by your pictures. Another guess might be you just had them ones lying around...lol.

Anyway, keep it up and keep us informed ;)

We are going to use just the individual 'sock' type filters at first then maybe a larger single filter with a backplate depending on space. The original plan was to make a new intake plenum out of fibreglass and use that at first but it runs pretty well as it is so we now have a plenum made up that we dont need but it was good practice with the fibreglass as we have never used it before.

We chose the gixxer thou bodies for a few reasons, the first was that the diameter matched perfectly with the cut down intake manifold, secondly was that they are quite easy to space but they wherent far off in the first place and thirdly as you say we hope that bigger bodies = more flow = more power :grin:

ive got to add that the video in no way shows how awsome the noise is, its loud and throaty yet still refined- if it makes no extra power at all i wouldnt care as long as it always sounds like that.

We got the throttle cable connected up tonight and took it for a spin. Interestingly it drives pretty well. It seems that with the MAF disconnected the ECU reverts to a base map based on throttle position sensor readings and runs very rich to stop the engine melting.

It's quite jerky low down in the revs but once you're moving it revs all the way to the redline with no flat spots. You can tell it's running rich as it doesn't rev as freely as it could, but it's perfectly driveable, just not as powerful as it could be.

The priority now is to get megasquirt up and running so that we can get a good map on there, and add cams and a ported and polished head to make the most of it.

The sound is truly awesome. I stood on the drive and Phil took it for a quick spin. From half a mile away I could hear every gear change and blip of the throttle, the induction raw sounds just like a rally car.

There are a few minor tweaks to make and relocation of the IAT sensor, but I think we're in a pretty good position, the cost so far has only been roughly £160.

As promised a short video of the test run recorded on my friends iPhone. Sound isn't great but better than the last video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHcqhjyWJo[/youtube]

Should be once it's mapped, the fuelling is all over the place with the stock ECU.

Few updates on the project- pics will follow later.

Brake pipes have been changed around a little and now include a bias valve as after testing the car was doing its best to swap ends under braking :lol:

Also all windows apart from the front have been removed to be replaced with polycarb, we had 2 huge sheets delivered the other day but since then ive been the only one free to work on the car so only got the 2 small rear side windows cut and fitted. It works out much cheaper than buying ready made kits if your willing to do the work.

Hopefully if i get time i will have another go at flocking the dash this week as theres a few bits i didnt get right first time round and they look a bit shhhh. Main priority is getting the rest of the windows fitted and then give it a wash to check for leaks :grin:

Hi again everyone. Not much has happened with the car since January, mainly because we've been busy at work and there have been a lot of bills for our daily runners (tyres, servicing, insurance, etc).

We picked up a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's in 15" last weekend for the price of £100. They were badly curbed as shown in these photos.

180505_10150109346022472_525307471_6358864_7763815_n.jpg

182231_10150109346587472_525307471_6358878_5306499_n.jpg

Today has been spent refurbing the wheels, here are the wheels minus tyres when we started this morning.

183234_10150114654872472_525307471_6414916_5540620_n.jpg

Here is one of the wheels with primer.

180965_10150114765102472_525307471_6415835_5527316_n.jpg

And a painted wheel.

184299_10150114656272472_525307471_6414923_3598593_n.jpg

Of course we had to continue the green theme with some green detail on the engraving.

183579_10150114798517472_525307471_6416327_4872812_n.jpg

The wheels are very light, 6.1kg each from what I can gather on the internet. The next step is replacing the glass with polycarbonate, which is hopefully going to happen in the next few weeks.

Looks good so far! you want to be mapping it ASAP before you drive it too much otherwise your fuel costs will be crippling plus it will be putting soo much fuel in that it will be borewashing to an extent, so you may need to change oil more frequently otherwise youll knacker the bores and bearings as the oil thins out with fuel and carbon shite.

did you get the rear quarter windows out intact or did you smash them? if you got them out in one piece then i am interested in buying them off you when i get paid.

To be honest the only time the car has been ran has been for the few videos- probably sub 10 minutes of total driving, it now gets pushed in and out of the garage.

We do have the rear quarter windows intact as they just pulled off, it was quite worrying how easily they pulled off. Just drop either me or gary a pm if/when you want them.

Ahh cool!
Yeah probably wise to give it an oil change once youve done your basic mapping as the fuelling will be much better for most the rev range then!

cool pm me what you want for the windows and payment method and i will sort it out on payday in a couple weeks.

Thanks, some good advice, we are trying to keep running to a minimum until the ECU is sorted. The battery is dead at the min anyway haha. One of us will PM you about the rear quarters shortly.

A photo of all 4 finished wheels, on the look out for some cheap tarmac rally tyres to put on them now.

185914_639616319358_274705236_8019956_1975401_n.jpg

hello

can you tell me how you did rear brake upgrade,
i want to upgrade them 2

gijs

Love the wheels, used to have a set on my old track saxo.

T1-rs on camskill for £35 a corner, although might not be in your size, thats for 15s

Also can I pick your brains about getting throttle boddies on, once I have everything needed for my attempt at fitting some lol.

hey, cars comign along nicely now, what throttle bodies are you using?? i know GSXR but are they 1000cc ones and what year bike are they off?

They usually are from the GSXR 750 or 600 depending on power characteristics , interested to know which bike they came from, especially if they fitted with minimal spacing onto a cut down puma inlet manifold

Also interested to see how you connected the throttle cable and if you managed to get the car mapped.

The throttle bodies are off a gsxr1000 as they where the best fit with the cut down intake manifold, once the car is mapped and the trumpet length sorted we will see what power it makes.

The throttle cable is connected to a custom made bracket, its something that we will be going over to make sure its reliable but up to know its been fine.

As for the rear brake upgrade its fairly simple, we got the whole hub/disc/caliper assembly as one then swapped the old drums by removing the 4 bolts on the rear (next to the bottom of the suspension strut) then swapping the 2 over. It was pretty simple to be honest, we dont have the handbrake connected up yet but all you need is the handbrake cable off the fiesta st. It will eventually have a hydraulic handbrake too.

Neither of us have updated this thread for a while as gary is unfortunately no longer working so for the time being things are coming along quite slowly, im also restoring a 1988 BMW 635csi so that is taking up some of my spare time but once that is sold on the profits will get us the cage, suspension and a few other bits.Looking to get either avo or proflex suspension.

I should also mention tht its no longer a track project- it is now going to be a stage rally car. I have done road rallying/navigational events with the motor club i am a member of and this is the next step.

Phil

Latest posts

Back