Steering wheel scraping noise when turning

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVarix

Hi all,

I couple of days ago my car's steering wheel has started making a scraping noise when turning. What should I look for?
What could it be? A spring or bearing gone wrong? A case of lubricating? If so, what product should I use?

Many thanks beforehand for your help :)

its could be your disc brake plate behind the disc there is a tin metal plate that could be make the sound
wheel bearing as mine is going would be making a grumbling noise and it would do it all the time
could be a snapped spring? or topmount? hope some of this helps

No no no :lol:

This sounds very much like behind the steering wheel itself. Happened to mine and a lot of others. You can either try and spray some lubricant behind the steering wheel and be 'lucky' to stop the scraping or do as I and others have done and remove the steering wheel then give the area behind a damn good clean and bit of lubrication.

I found 2 brass contacts were wearing with use and had deposited a fine dust which the contacts then scraped along giving you your scraping sound. I simply cleaned it all up and put a very small amount of lubrication on the contact area. No scraping ever since which must be around 3 or more years now.

There is a 'How to' guide on this site showing how to remove the steering wheel - don't worry, it's very easy ;)

I'm with Yip here, great description of the problem! You can find my guide on how to remove the steering wheel in the how to's section :D

ha i forgot a bout the steering yeah yip sounds about right :roll:

Thanks a lot guys for your replies!! I'll follow yippeekiay's recommendation and will try to remove the steering wheel to clean/lubricate probably over the weekend... :)
Red, I have checked your "how to" guide and it looks great and is very easy to follow. Many thanks!! :grin:

Back