Stereo head unit help

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasofcaladan

Hi everyone, I'm new here so hello to all. Just bought a super condition Y reg Puma, 66k miles. I'm having some trouble trying to fit a single din stereo. I've fitted a fascia kit and ISO connectors but the problem is the triangular bracket at the back to hold it in place. Cannot work out how to attach it. Has anyone managed to do this or have any fixes to hold it in place? I've heard that some have used Velcro but it's hard to picture how that is done when there's no room to get at the inside when the unit is in and that rail is at the top. (hard to picture for me as it's the first time I've changed a head unit) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

I have recently fitted a single din headunit into my Puma and having bought the Ford specific single din kit - I too wondered where the triangular bracket fitted as there is no screw hole on the unit.

In the end I left it off as the cage that comes with the new headunit holds the stereo in firmly anyway.

You may find that with the Ford specific single din kit that the triangular bracket can only be used with single din Ford only headunits as opposed to aftermarket headunits.

Thanks for the info. I heard there was a Ford specific single din kit but couldn't find it anywhere. Could you tell me where you purchased yours?
Cheers.

i don't have that bracked, and i really do not need it anyway :) be chill... put the fascia in, secure it with the 4 little limbs or what the heck are they... get the stereo, plug in the iso convertor cables, the antenna, and push in the stereo... that is all you have to do :)

The original Ford unit is a 1.5 din and as such is designed to be used with the triangular bracket to stop it from dropping (due to the weight of the unit).

Most new / aftermarket single iso units are much lighter and do not require the triangular bracket - in fact in my experience I haven't seen many aftermarket units of late that have a screw fixing on the rear for such a bracket.

With the cage that surrounds the new unit - all pins that can be pushed up to lock the cage in place should be enough to secure the unit in place without it wobbling.

I still couldn't figure mine out and gave up. Anyone got any pics of what needs to be done please?

I ended up attaching the bracket using a 2-part epoxy adhesive. Now it sits perfectly and doesn't wobble. :grin:

hi this kit comes with the bracket that screws to the back of the stereo and slides along the bracket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-Stereo-Radio-Fascia-Facia-Fitting-KIT-/270754129724?hash=item3f0a34273c:g:Ta8AAOSwUV9Wn8dN

Just recently refitted my aftermarket headunit (after screen flickering on a 60 mile country road drive).

With the Ford single din head unit kit comes 2 x plastic "v" shaped brackets that slide onto the rail at the top; a bolt and nut.

The new single din headunit has a threaded hole on the back to which 1 of the "v" shaped brackets attaches. Slid the headunit onto the rail and its now solidly fitted.

Back