Steve's (yeah ok Steve's wife's) Project Puma!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spjmorris

Hello!

Ok so I've been a member her for a while now and thought it was about time I started a progress thread so I can bore the pants off you all!
but first the car:

bought her at the end of May and it's a pretty good one! one of the earliest being a 98 R plate in Moondust, only had 78K on the clock with almost FSH, here she is freshly collected from the garage:

the car is well specced, it has the optional silver handbrake cover, I believe the air conditioning (which is wonderfully cold) and the heated front screen (which doesn't work) are also optional extras?

first thing to address was the horrible clonking from the NS, so she's had new wishbones, drop links, and complete struts, the only thing original now is the springs!

wow what a car! absolutely love it and she pulls amazingly well and with the new front suspension overhaul it handles really well too!

couple of cosmetic additions:

then I set about putting the head unit back to standard, it had a gaping hole when we got it and had an aftermarket HU for a while but it just didn't look right to me, she now has the proper silver 6000CD and I've also added a ford multichanger in the boot which was removed from my Cougar

the sharp eyed among you will note the buttons!

next up...detailing, ugh the state of the wheels

much better!

Wifey wants rid of the props but I really like them!

bodywork while straight enough was desperately in need of spit and polish, I have never seen tar spots this bad on any car!

today saw the broken a pillar trim replaced and an oil change

aaaand that pretty much brings things up to the present, she was at Ford Fair last weekend where we met some of you guys, and pretty much fell in love with Steavie's beaut, it has to be said I think all the Pumas on the stand were of a very high standard.

next on the list is to sort this:

which thankfully I've got in the garage courtesy of alexwilliams, sadly the heavens have opened so it won't be on today, oh well gives me an excuse to play tomorrow :grin:

Cheers all, Steve

I was there the moment your Mrs clocked STEAVIE's purple beastie! She was like, "OMG WANT!!!!" :lol:

You'll have to join us on the stand next year. :thumbs:

Cheers guys, yep you got it rob that was definitely a want moment!!

the Puma was at the back of the Cougar stand last week but next year I think she'll definitely be in with you guys, you had a prime spot! a few of us on the Cougar forum were musing over the possibility of joining forces next year, you know all the forgotten Ford coupes together!

this was the baby cat last week:

I don't know about *all* the forgotten Ford coupes together... *cough* Probe *cough* :-D

Looking good :eek:k:

PS: I don't know who Neil bent over for to get that stand this year :-D It was an awesome spot so yes, you should join us next year :lol:

Sorted!

that row of stainless button heads should keep that blighter attached! major thanks to alexwilliams for the part, Wifey is happy :) :thumbs:

rebuilt the rear drums this Sunday with some very reasonably priced parts from Gary (quest63) :thumbs:
also replaced the earth strap at the rear of the engine as this was completely broken at the engine end...

A very nice aluminium oil cap was added a couple of weeks ago which is actually for a Honda - these are dirt cheap and fit perfectly!
$T2eC16J,!y4FI,NhI6!zBSIYwPht4w~~60_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200920928240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
naturally the decal is just a sticker :) I was so impressed I've put one on both cats!
got a new bumper waiting to go on as the previous owner left a lovely scuff on one side :( also to do are some other little bits....interior trim etc...

and as soon as I get my finger out and fit my 300mm upgrade to the Cougar I'll be migrating the 280mm kit to this car :thumbs:

right - questions - the HFS has never worked, the LED in the switch doesn't come on when it's pressed, but the dash lights dim momentarily when it's pressed? any ideas?

aaaaaaand the heated rear screen also doesn't work, but the LED does light up? those brass contacts in the tailgate look a bit battered would this be a good place to start?

Cheers, Steve!

Looks like its going to be a pampered lil kitty looks nice and clean.

Those oil caps are begging for a puma gel badge in the middle :-D

quest63 said:
Those oil caps are begging for a puma gel badge in the middle :-D

Ooh now that's a good idea :idea:

I've put some plain chrome vinyl on the cougar one to see how it holds up, those V6 engines chuck out an extraordinary amount of heat! if it can take that I think I might explore some different options

I think whatever someone has done to their engine over would look good in the centre of the cap.

I was thinking her car had a different drivers seat in as it looked like different material

Just realised its a leg :oops:

Puma got some love today, can't believe we've owned her almost a year already!

despite changing both front shocks last year the clonkiness returned soon after, I pulled it all apart and all is still nice and tight so nothing there, I did manage to snap the pinch bolt completely in half in the process which caused some mild panicking....

front ARB bushes look to have a bit of play in them to I've ordered up a set hopefully this will help stop the knocking

Brake lines front and rear were looking a bit manky so these were scrubbed back and treated

Driver's window switch packed up last week so a new one of those went on

and as detailed elsewhere both heated screens have never worked, so the boot contacts were replaced with some sourced from a fellow member, and this seems to have done the trick!

MOT is due in 5 weeks time so she'll be booked in at the earliest opportunity, here's hoping for a clean bill of health!

Bush time....

bit of play there methinks...

fiddly old job this, old one out, yep that's shagged

old vs new

lovely jubbly, no more suspension bongos!

Looks like a tidy little motor mate :)

Where did you get the 'Puma' bonnet/boot badge please?

Cheers,

Steve.

Chers!

The badges are made by a friend of mine

He has a facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/apgraffix?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and website here:
http://www.apgraffix.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just tell him what you're after and he'll make it for you!

Latest posts

Back