sump removal and refit and sump plug problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi i have recently bought a ford puma and it had a slight oil leek from the sump. So i got it on the ramps and tried to remove the sump plug but it just wouldnt budge so i had to think of a way round this and because the sump had to come off anyway i unbolted it a put a couple of bowls under it then had to pry it open gradually from the front the oil started to come out so i left it where it was over the bowls until it stopped .then i just pulled the sump down and the rest of the oil went into the bowls. then i have cleaned up the sump ready for refitting. but the sump plug is still stuck in and i want to remove it so next time i do a oil & oil filter renewal i dont have to take the sump out again. is there anything i can do, or should i just put the sump back on?

thankyou in advance to anyone who knows what i should do :p :twisted: :?

A nut can be welded to the knackered head of the sump plug. If you can't do that or find someone to do it for you replace the sump.

Ian G on here breaks pumas so may have a sump from a shagged motor.

hi i have managed to undo the sump plug it intailed me and my step son.I stood on the sump with both my feet and my step son used a 1/2 inch socket to force it off lucky i didnt dammage the sump or the sump plug we used WD40 and liqid air to try and unseal it so job done lukily i didnt round the sump plug off at all i would recomend people to try this as it will probably save the sump and sump plug . Also would anybody know weather i should get a new sump plug or just keep using this one thankyou fairlight . also now the sump is all done im onto the second problem the oil filter is sized on i have put a screwdriver through but cant get the leaverage as when i try it just bends and brackes some more thankyou in advance to anyone who can help. :-D

I would definitely change the sump plug it is after all tired old metal and it potentially saves you having the same problem in the future :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back