swimming spark plugs :(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syne

Just changed the oil and am going to do the rocker cover gasket this weekend.
but I just had a quick look under the cover and the plugs are swimming in oil.
I'm going to soak up as much as possible now but will they need to be replaced? or even just pulled and cleaned?

any help suggestions?

Oh and thanks to scuba for the guide :)

Firstly, get a genuine Ford gasket. Much better quality than copy/after market ones.

I had the same issue with oil around the spark plugs:
23022012431.jpg

I sucked a lot of it up with a straw, then mopped the rest up with kitchen roll/tissue.

Hopefully then you wont end up coating the plugs with oil if you do take them out, although I shouldn't think you would need to take them out.
If you do get oil on them, carefully wiping them with tissue then maybe a squirt with carb cleaner or something should clean the rest off. Just remember though, if you do get oil on them, it would be best to hold them with the electrode facing down. This should stop the oil seeping further up/inside the plug.

that photo could well have been my set of plugs. kitchen towel took practically all of it away.
is the plastic cover ontop of the rocker cover just for asthethics or does it serve any purpose?

BillyBob780 said:
" I sucked a lot up with a straw" !!!!!!!!

HOW DID THAT TASTE???? :oops:
I didn't suck it up literally. I put my tongue over the end to stop it going in my mouth!

syne said:
is the plastic cover ontop of the rocker cover just for asthethics or does it serve any purpose?
I think a few members have removed theirs and painted the rocker cover, so I would think it is decorative.... :roll:

Back