That 30 bhp...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintGrimm

Hi all,

my first technical query and it has nothing to do with the issues my car is experiencing (this forum has already pointed me in the right direction on nearly all).

What I was wondering is - the two versions of the 1.7, the 123bhp and the 150(?)bhp - what gives the other one such a difference in power? As far as I am aware, they are made in the same age bracket (pre-2000) but one is clearly different to the other.

I wiki'd the engine and then went on a search but found nothing other than it was used in the Racing Puma. That was all I got about the difference in the engine. Same displacement - higher power.

Where does this monster get its extra horses? I am very interested to know :)

Different inlet manifold - which are all numbered and getting very expensive now - different cams, engine management map and exhaust system.

Ah, so a fair difference then!

I was reading a post about the FRP parts getting hyper expensive. Bad times. I am guessing there are plenty of other traders/sources that create parts for the Puma similar to the FRP parts but without the monumental scene-tax, as it were?

Yeah inlet, exhaust and cams are all replicated in various forms. The map is also fairly readily available if you have the technology to write it to the ECU.

And the 4-2-1 branch exhaust manifold are also very common to get ahold of also. The rarity comes from the Inlet manifold with only 600 ever being produced. However, Lightning Motorsport will fabricate a similar version for you.

Back