Torx size to remove standard calipers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beko1987

Hi Guys.

Got a new (second-hand) front caliper on the way as my drivers side one has siezed solid. Had it off before to free it off, but used a friends torx bits and forgot to note down the size. Anyone know so I can get hold of the correct size bit? (T-40?)

Also, been soaking the brake hose fixing in wd-40 for the past few days, what are these like for rounding off? Should I price up new brake pipes as well just in case? Only supposed to be a 'keep it on the road for a few months longer' job, so not up for throwing mega-bucks at it.

Cheers

Sam

Sam,
The sliding bolts on my 1.7 calipers are 7mm Allen bolts not Torx. Not sure they are the same on all Pumas as I have only just bought this one and have no previous experience. What I do know is ford wanted £30 a pair for new bolts so be a little careful removing them.
Ian

You are all right, it was an allen bolt. We used the torx bit in error, and where we did they had worn at the bolt, so when I strained my head underneath the other night and glanced I could see stars. Luckily I could swap the bolts to the un-torx'd ones on the new caliper. Second bonus was I didn't need to go and buy the right size torx bit.

Bought a £10 caliper from a 89k puma, and fitted it tonight. Bled the brake up (only that corner), and will take it for a drive when the traffic dies down a bit to see if it works. Will get the other corners bled soon as well, get the job finished properly.

The disc is slightly scored from where the brakes were binding, pads are ok but slightly charred, hoping they too will sort themselves out with use.

Nexxt thing to buy and fit is a new cheap ABS sensor.

Latest posts

Back