Turbo

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat

I've read that Ford originally planned to fit a turbo to the FRP, but cut costs when things got too expensive. So then, what make of turbo were they planning on fitting and would it be a straight forward job to fit, seeing that was the original plans and all?

off the top of my head...no! and iv never heard that. ford did make 1 turbo puma for some fun but didnt pursue it.

you need a very low boost turbo or custom rods and pistons, talk to turby or the guy who bought fords original car.

either way it aint gonna be cheap

Tomcat said:
I've read that Ford originally planned to fit a turbo to the FRP, but cut costs when things got too expensive.

maybe you could link us to that story... as it's a new one on me... :grin:

the plan was always to keep the car naturally aspirated... as per the super1600... aside from the synergy between the road car and the rally car.... no way that would have been even considered as a feasable project financially speaking.... it's a miracle it ever happened anyway.. :eek:
:cool:

LINK

The original design remit was to achieve 180 bhp using a 1.7 Zetec SE equipped with a turbocharger. However, due to spiralling project costs, this was not achieved and eventually the Racing Puma engineers where forced to keep their changes within a normally aspirated engine. The majority of the engine remained unchanged from the 1.7 Zetec SE utilised in the standard Puma. Only the camshafts, air intake (with the unique edition number engraved on it), a specially tuned complete exhaust system by Janspeed, and a revised engine management software helped to increase power by 30 hp, reducing the 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time to 7.8 seconds.

hmm, all the rest sounds good tho...and considering ford history turbo'ing their fast cars it would make sense theyd consider that first....consider it...prob only for a very short time. and theyd be quick to deny it to the critics happily saying this was meant to be NA from the start...

i reckon if it was a ford engine in the frp itd have been turbo'd as the rods could have been done cheaply and easily but seeing as its a crate engine from yamaha it would have cost too much to develop...or maybe their werent allowed to due to contractual agreements...ie yamaha wouldnt want their name on anything ford made unreliable with a big turbo...

Really, you think the FRP engine's a crate? :? *Starts thinking more about the EcoBoost*

I think he means shipped to Ford in a crate to drop back into the cars.

Don't forget though it did get modified from the standard 1.7 that arrived for the standard Pumas so they must have had some leywey to change it.

Still would love to see a remote turbo FRP lots of space where the spare wheel was for a remote intercooler :)

Latest posts

Back