tyre valve caps stuck on!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewarta13wsb

Help. As title, the dust caps are stuck on and I need to blow up a tyre!

Some swine stole the last set and the local garage didn't have normal black rubber/plastic ones so I bought metal ones - obviously cheap crap - and now they won't come off.

Tried half a can of WD40 but no luck. The whole rubber valve just turns now.

Other than risk scratched allows at National Tyres and have the tyre removed and valves replaced, any other suggestions??

If WD40 won't shift it without turning the rubber valve with it, you may have to bite the bullet and take it to somewhere to remove the tyre and fit a new valve.

Unless you can get a pair of pliers on the valve stem to stop it rotating and try and tighten the dust cap... then try to remove. Sometimes just breaking the seal tightening it a bit more does the trick.

Sorry can't be more help.

:(

I'd have thought the rubber sleeve would grip pretty well without crushing it.

If in doubt...go somewhere you can trust.

Result.... sort of!

One off eventually with WD40
2 off with the 2 plier method (but one small scratch on the alloy :( )
1 to the local garage (they are very careful) for a tyre off - but harder than normal because the valve wouldn't come out to deflate it first!!) and £25 lighter :shock:

I'll not buy those again, and a warning to all - who like me, didn't know the perils of cheepo valve caps! Thank God I at least got 3 off, otherwise it would have been a £100 lesson!

Thanks,

At least you have it sorted now.. might be an idea to use vasoline or similar on the thread before tightening the valve caps?

Funnily enough, as if I had a flash of the second sight, I had previously sprayed some WD40 inside the caps, but obviously too long ago.

No more metal for me, there are 4 nice basic black plastic ones on now which you can always get off :)

Back