UK votes to leave the EU

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As swiss pariot I will say congratulation to the UK. You are on the right way now. We live in the center from europe still out of the eu. And we live good. As we maked the desition not to go in the eu in 1992 we had a hard time for a few jears. But this times are fahr away today. And i think this will be the same for the UK now. Now it is time for you to stand together. I belive taht this way the great britain will be great again.

There's not going to to be a United Kingdom for much longer, I feel like today was the day I lost my country

Brian, things like that won't change overnight if at all.

We all need to be optimistic and trust that the UK has some of the brightest minds in the world and this isn't going to change. We remain a democracy, we remain a member of the world organisations and we will I'm sure build an agreement with the rest of Europe in the coming months and years.

It's in no one's benefit to start putting tariffs on trade between the mainland and the UK so just remain calm.

As a remain voter I as surprised at the outcome.

But

Maybe it's what the country needed? It certainly seems to have shaken up a rather staid political landscape and opened not only our eyes but the rest of Europe to the fact that things might not go on without change.

I hope the leave campaigners can say to us in a couple of years "told you so"

Be interesting to see whether import duties are offset but the currency valuation.

Definitely benefits exports until we leave - EUR already stronger but no more expensive to trade. I see no reason for it not to continue like that TBH, its been the case all along that the UK has a strong case for a good trade deal.

red said:
[post]353612[/post] It's in no one's benefit to start putting tariffs on trade between the mainland and the UK so just remain calm.
Well, if I was to diagnose this like any other problem then I would reckon it would benefit the organisation of the whole EU for a start.

Effectively, the head of the EU is staring survival straight in the face. If Britain 'gets off light' then a domino effect will surely happen with Greece, The Netherlands, Poland, maybe even France, etc all lining up for exit referendums of their own.

Logically, the only way to reduce that possibility (this is logic, so the moral rights/wrongs don't come into it) would be to make it as difficult as possible for Britain to succeed outside the EU in every way possible, introduce tariffs and also to close every EU-related job in the UK, as an example to others that actions have consequences. Not personal, just business.

Still, at least we still have the USA as an ally and we all know how caring and benevolent they are.

We live in 'interesting times'.

I voted remain - seriously disappointed in the British public today. Seems to me the average joe has just used the opportunity to bash the ruling elite without thinking through (or bothering to understand) the consequences.

The campaigning was dire from both sides. While the eu certainly isnt perfect, Remain failed to get across the benefits which have been taken for granted (certain employment rights, freedom to travel, pollution rules, stopping use of pesticides etc) and may well now start to be eroded, focusing instead on negative scaremongering. But in my view the success by the leave campaign in sirring up latent (and frankly, deep down - racist) views on immigration and making it the main issue is worrying, together with the nonsense about getting 'freedom' in an increasingly interconnected global economy

I feel the referendum was unnecessary to start with and people didn't really know what they were being asked to decide. But - as we have now laid our bed we have to lie in it and make the best of sorting out this mess in the years to come i suppose!

All of the argument from the 'remain' point of view is valid, putting across some good pro's of the EU.

The 'leave' argument has been tarnished more than the 'remain'. If people think that it's a racist, uneducated move then more fool them. I've spoken to several 'leave' voters and the reasons for voting aren't how the media have portrayed.

I'm just using the following as an example so don't shoot me down for, what about x, y and z...

Around 7% of our laws have from the EU..and this was growing. We obviously started at 0. I don't want any laws coming from unelected officials in Brussels, whom waste nearly £100 million doing a yearly meet in Strasbourg. Bet that could help some refugees :roll:

So, from that you can tell which way I voted. I was surprised at the outcome to be honest.

Might be sad that Cameron is stepping down, but the silver lining to that cloud (if it is a cloud for you) is George Osborne will hopefully be out of a job too!

Nicked this from elsewhere - sums it up quite well I think:

A PM resigned, the £ plummeted, the FTSE 100 lost massive ground, but wait then the £ rallied past February levels, the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday and it's best performance in 4 months.
President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong.
The French President confirmed the Le Torquet agreement would stay in place.
The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negotiations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU.
A big bank denied its going to shift 2,000 staff overseas.
The CBI, which has been vehemently anti-Brexit during the run up to the referendum, stated stated British businesses were resilient and would adapt.
Several countries outside the EU stated they wish to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately.
So far if this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by tea time, Not bad for the first day of freedom.

Frank said:
[post]353617[/post]
red said:
[post]353612[/post] It's in no one's benefit to start putting tariffs on trade between the mainland and the UK so just remain calm.
Well, if I was to diagnose this like any other problem then I would reckon it would benefit the organisation of the whole EU for a start.

Effectively, the head of the EU is staring survival straight in the face. If Britain 'gets off light' then a domino effect will surely happen with Greece, The Netherlands, Poland, maybe even France, etc all lining up for exit referendums of their own.

Logically, the only way to reduce that possibility (this is logic, so the moral rights/wrongs don't come into it) would be to make it as difficult as possible for Britain to succeed outside the EU in every way possible, introduce tariffs and also to close every EU-related job in the UK, as an example to others that actions have consequences. Not personal, just business.

Still, at least we still have the USA as an ally and we all know how caring and benevolent they are.

We live in 'interesting times'.
It's just your opinion, not everyone's, try not to be a pessimist. If, for example, Germany put a 10% tariff on VAG cars to the UK (their biggest EU market), then we could put a further 10% import duty on them. This would effectively price VAG cars out of the UK market, what do you you think VAG would say to Frau Merkel? In the meantime, Japan's economy is stagnating, and we agree with them to ramp up Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc., UK production, to supply our domestic market, generating UK jobs and using British Steel to make them. New Zealand/Australian lamb, wine from them and USA etc., instead of from the EU. There are alternatives to any product we currently buy from the EU, that can be sourced outside.

YOG said:
[post]353629[/post]
It's just your opinion, not everyone's, try not to be a pessimist.
I just try to be objective. Perhaps your non-pessimist message would be better addressed to these jittery guys?

Interestingly, a couple of hours after I wrote my post above, this article appeared -

As a result, Germany, France, Italy and several other governments are determined to make Britain’s secession from the EU as painful as possible. “Unwinding British membership is bound to be a miserable business anyway. It is not in the EU’s interests to make it seem simple,” one Brussels official said.

Ian G said:
[post]353643[/post] Sound like a spiteful ex girlfriend.
I'll take your word for it.

Still, I successfully avoided every single newspaper article, discussion, TV and radio debate on this dull old stuff over the last couple of months and just read up about it all yesterday morning. So I sure ain't now getting involved in some post-results thing over just a passing comment.

I'll leave you guys to it. :)

Far too much scaremongering & propoganda from both the political 'experts' & many so called impartial media sources...I put the BBC down as the major culprit on the media front.

I'm glad I took very little notice of the media as I don't watch TV except on demand through my PS3 so pick programmes very selectively.

I went with my own research/thoughts on the subject then voted to suit, seems the initial kneejerk reaction to the outcome by numerous people/organisations etc was just that.

Thanks for that quote Dal, not seen anything since I found out the result earlier today & that quote seems to back up the initial doom & gloom reaction to be somewhat unwarranted in the first place.....so far. I suspected this & am pleased with your findings.

We will see how it pans out in the future no doubt. No one actually knew what would happen despite what was said, & still don't, so everyone who voted could only have done so from their own personal opinion on the subject. I do, however, suspect a lot of people may have been swayed by all the scaremongering and BS that was ladelled out like slop in a workhouse but I hope everyone is satisfied that they voted to the best of their knowledge & also hope that whatever happens to the UK will be for the better in the longer term.

Oh.....& I wish Sturgeon would just dig a big ditch across the Scottish border & float away somewhere else as I believe she's threatening another independance referendum. Can the English vote on that?, as I say bugger off!

Latest posts

Back