Under the car - Heat Shield

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed today that something was hanging down from under my car :(

Got under it to see that the heatshield was all but hanging off - and it had probably been bent back by a pesky speed bump.
(The heat shield goes between the exhaust and the car - protecting the brake pipes at some points so it's quite important IMO. Some people rip it all off though)

Ripped off at the corner: (Click for larger image)
[albumimg]240[/albumimg]

As a short term solution, I found some old vertical blind mounts and modified them to fit to hold it up. The hexagonal fixing unscrewed, so I put the newly "bodged" clamp behind it and screwed it up again:
[albumimg]243[/albumimg]

That^ fixing was a corner fixing near the gearbox linkage so it had to go round that : hence the upward angle.

Another one:
[albumimg]241[/albumimg]

3 in all had been ripped off so I'm going to get some aluminium plates made up that match the profile correcty so it's more permanent.

Had an interesting view from under though:

[albumimg]244[/albumimg]

:funny:

Took it out and no rattles so :eek:k:

I wonder if mine is loose and that's why I always get the tizz from the gear stick!?

I got over speed humps everyday so it isn't unlikely :(

More middle than front really - About front of door to under the rear seat.

Just been down the bumpy country roads on my way to work. (A real test for bumps) I don't know if I'm imagining it, but my car sounded much quieter. Maybe I had thought some of the little squeeks and bangs I hear were inside the car - door cards coming lose etc but it's certainly made things a whole lot nicer!

I'd certainly recommend you check if you have any loose heat shield fixings!

:eek:k:

Glad its sorted and sounding better

Is there any pics online anywhere which show all heatshield fixing points (its around the manifold downwards towards the cat i want to look at)

I'll have a look about ;)

If not, tell us where you need exactly and I'm sure someone can snap you some pictures.

Latest posts

Back