variable valve timing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipstream

hi all i asked the garage to have a look in the memory of my engine to see what it had done in the past , it cam back with fault the variable valve timing had gone out of sink then corrected it self , any idear what could cause this to happen as the garage could not give me an answer just stating this happens sometimes :roll: on the up side it failed the mot on a split rear exhaust time to fit a racing one :grin: 8)

Could be a sticking vct unit, or walve. has it been serviced regularly, whit the corect oil??

the vct unit has been known to go, but it's not that often it happens

cheers hi only got the car as spares repair for the engine but fell in love with it, hence keeping this and scraping other project ,i know the engine as 150+ bhp as its had some work done on it i cant say what oil is in it ,i know it had a lot spent on cams ,belts and pulleys by previous owner but dont say what oil is in it ,whats recommended as now is the time to spend me cash on it

slipstream said:
i know the engine as 150+ bhp as its had some work done on it i cant say what oil is in it

Sounds optimistic... If possible you should ask the previous owner for a detailed list of the modifications he's made.

As for oil, Ford 5w30 semi-synth does the job. Even Halfords do it - 26.99 for 5 litres and you get a free Redex ;) or 20 quid from eurocarparts and so on.

Treat it to a service, particularly if it's running non-standard components. Engines love some TLC.

slipstream said:
hi all i asked the garage to have a look in the memory of my engine to see what it had done in the past , it cam back with fault the variable valve timing had gone out of sink then corrected it self , any idear what could cause this to happen as the garage could not give me an answer just stating this happens sometimes :roll: on the up side it failed the mot on a split rear exhaust time to fit a racing one :grin: 8)

sounds like the solenoid is sticking for sure...you could try unsticking it with a good engine flush product... also manually 'grounding it out' with the revs up a bit can also unstick it...

or just remove the cam and replace the solenoid and re-time and tension it all back up again...bit of a big and expensive job tho :?

Chris

dont think the last owner new much about the car ,(hid is wacky in pasanger side behind dash panel where airbag is :eek: )when car was delivered it broke down and ended up being towed to my house, they said the alternator had failed , so i fitted a new battery (high power) check charging and found no fault with alternator its been perfect since i got it ,only reason i asked garage to look in its memory bank was to see why it was towed to mine ,could it be just a old knacked battery caused the problem ,im use to points & sparks not puters :roll: the lady before him spent loads on the car mainly the engine then some tuning company had it who i cant find so i have some service history then 18-2 years blank

Latest posts

Back