What to buy if you find the new Focus ST too goppingly ugly

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

No sooner have we written about the Astra GTC, than Vauxhall unveils a properly hot version - its new Astra VXR.

With 276bhp and 295lb ft from its 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder motor, the new hot hatch will be one of the most powerful hot hatches in its class, as well as the most powerful production Astra ever, although Vauxhall is yet to reveal full details of the car's performance.

The old VXR recipe of bunging in a load of power and hang the finesse seems to have been dropped as well - because looking at the spec sheet it seems the new Astra VXR might actually have a chance of matching its pace with some polished handling.

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VX_11115-L.jpg

VX_11116-L.jpg

I like the looks and sound of this a lot. It's also about a million times better looking than this too.

Large%20Image.jpg

That fact that I am back in a vauxhall myself has no bearing on this.....

I do like that. Rather tasty. Be good if they have sorted the handling issues as the high powered Astra's and Corsa's were potential ditch/hedge/tree magnets.

Astra was yes, but not so much the Corsa. In fact I was talking to a bunch of guys on a VXR meet at the Ring' and the Corsa's were consistently MUCH quicker round it than the Astra's simply because the Astra couldn't put it's power down properly. Only problem with the Corsa is the image i.e. a boy racers car.

Vauhall / Opel never seem to be as 'involving' to drive as the equivalent Ford, but often look better.

Just my observation.

(They never had anything that came close to Puma though)

* sniggers remembering the poor old Tigra *

Just on the general Vaux/Ford, and Puma in particular, debate....

Although I needed to change from the Puma a couple of months ago I was not looking forward to it, but have been pleasantly surprised with the Astra coupe. It is faster than the Puma, and more comfortable for the long trips I am often doing... it's fuel economy isnt far off it either.
Handling wise it lacks the 'go kart on rails' poise of the Puma and I dont get as much road feedback - but it is far from wallowy.

A few little tweaks to the suspension would refine things in the Astra, but at the moment I am perfectly happy with it as is.. {May still try and pick up a Puma as a second car next year though}.

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, Ford don't make a single car these days I like. Vauxhall are making some cracking looking cars at the minute though.

Not sure the front bumper is really doing much for the ford. If I get a new car it would be the new Swift Sport, I loved the last one and only got rid reluctantly, they handle incredibly, so much so I cant corner anywhere near as fast in the Puma! even if they are a bit low on power (135bhp)

Try one you will be surprised yip! the little swift likes to cock its back wheel quite a lot. But a lot of it might be to do with rubber, the Suzuki was fitted with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's mine is fitted with Maxxis MAV1's! need to get some decent rubber! then I can start to tap into the puma more :lol:

expatscot said:
Just on the general Vaux/Ford, and Puma in particular, debate....

Although I needed to change from the Puma a couple of months ago I was not looking forward to it, but have been pleasantly surprised with the Astra coupe. It is faster than the Puma, and more comfortable for the long trips I am often doing... it's fuel economy isnt far off it either.
Handling wise it lacks the 'go kart on rails' poise of the Puma and I dont get as much road feedback - but it is far from wallowy.

A few little tweaks to the suspension would refine things in the Astra, but at the moment I am perfectly happy with it as is.. {May still try and pick up a Puma as a second car next year though}.
yeah ive always liked the astra coupe,would have one like a shot if it was a minter 1.8 or a turbo.will avoid the 2.2 as they are prone to wear on the timing chain and starvation of oil.(think thats what it is i worked in a vauxhall franchise for 6 years)

OK, I know the price is a little out of reach for many (including myself) but this looks really cool. Certainly a million clicks ahead of any Astra

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3Cnone%3E&edname=CC-FT86II-landing&id=CC-FT86II-landing&zone=Zone+Cars&sr=Mall&gclid=CNrKmvrx3KwCFQUhtAodxjWkrA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep seeing that and it looks like a facelifted 350/370z to me....and not a pretty one either imo.

Think price wise it'll be pitted about the same as the 370z - maybe slightly less - so it's way too expensive as far as I can see in comparison.

I saw it more as the lovechild of the Hyundai coupe and the Mazda RX8. None the worse for that though.

XIIVVX said:
I saw it more as the lovechild of the Hyundai coupe and the Mazda RX8. None the worse for that though.

Agreed - I don't think it's a particulary resolved piece of design. That said, it's more interesting than 90% of Toyota's current range.

I don't really see it as competition for the Trout-ST though, rumours are it's going to cost £28K...

Back