Focus ST facelift, diesel available for the first time

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Well, it's marginally less gopping than before..

Ford_FocusST_02.jpg

With rivals like the SEAT Leon Cupra and Megane 275 Trophy having arrived recently, the Ford Focus ST was in danger of becoming overlooked in the hot hatch ranks. To return it to the forefront of prospective buyers' minds, a mid-life facelift aims to rejuvenate the fastest Focus.

Diesel shown in new 'Stealth' colourThe most significant news is the introduction of a diesel Focus ST, which most definitely isn't an STD. Really. The Golf GTD rival uses a 185hp 2.0-litre TDCI with 295lb ft from 2,000-2,750rpm. 62mph takes 8.1 seconds and the top speed is 135mph. Just as importantly, fuel consumption is officially rated at 64.2mpg with 114g/km too.

The diesel is the grey car in these pics, identical cosmetically to the petrol car. This even extends to the twin-hexagonal centre tailpipes, which may or may not appeal.

But to the petrol car, the ST that we already know and (mostly) love. Power is unchanged at 250hp from the 2.0-litre Ecoboost but the introduction of stop-start improves mpg to 41.5 and CO2 to 158g/km.

A properly sized central screen; hurrah!Further modifications underneath should make it an even greater drive than previously. Ford mentions 'an even sharper dynamic performance' in the press material as 'it probably torque-steered a little too much' wasn't deemed appropriate. So there are new front springs, revised torque vectoring control and tweaks to the steering that should improve turn in and front axle control.

Moreover, Ford has added different engine mounts to assist 'front-wheel traction and gear shift quality' (go on, just admit it...). There are new Michelin tyres developed specifically for the ST as well. So it's rather more than a new headlights job, and a facelift that promises even more enjoyment from the Ford.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boak.

I actually think the Fiestas get away (dare I say look good?) with the big grille, but the Focus not so..

Focus STD

*chortle*

185hp 2.0-litre TDCI with 295lb ft

Not really come on much from the old 2.2 diesel I had in my Mondeo ST TDCi which, with a cheeky little remap, was rolling roaded at 177bhp / 360lbft.

Dal said:
Focus STD

*chortle*

185hp 2.0-litre TDCI with 295lb ft

Not really come on much from the old 2.2 diesel I had in my Mondeo ST TDCi which, with a cheeky little remap, was rolling roaded at 177bhp / 360lbft.

Ye, but that was strugling to get to Euro3 norm…. Thsi one is Euro5 or even 6 in emission standard… Nothing to be worried while you drive it, but major pain in the a..e for the engineers

Latest posts

Back