New Focus RS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

NewFocusRS_04.jpg

Well bravo Ford. After more than two years of speculation over what drivetrain the nextFocus RS would get, the company has now announced what the majority of PHers have been wishing for: the new car will be four-wheel drive.
Civic Type R's job just got harder. Again. Civic Type R's job just got harder. Again. The tech spec of the RS is enough to make VWGolf R deal-hunters pause their search. Maybe even potential Mustang owners too. Or it would if the RS was coming any time soon - 2016 is all Ford would tell us.
As we guessed, the engine is the 2.3-litre turbocharged EcoBoost four as fitted to theMustang, but with the power boosted to "more than 320hp" thanks to an improved turbo with a larger compressor, as well as a larger intercooler to feed it. So it beats the Golf's 300hp and should sound good too, with Ford promising all the "burbles, pops and crackles that are an RS signature." The gearbox is a six-speed manual.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eurocars/ford-focus-rs--full-details/31573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to see it'll be four wheel drive, but [predictable] it's not exactly a looker, is it? [/predictable]

Then again, I've always hated this generation of Focus, so I was never going to like it.

;p

A slightly darker blue and a different wheel choice and its a nice car, shame it's out of the price range for a lot of people but those people will just get finance.

This or one of the new Mustangs? Mustang hands down......

Unfortunately the launch has been completely overshadowed by the new 488 GTB - even tho both of the cars are in totaly different legaue to each other.

Will be looking forward to seeing what Mountune have up there sleeves for the new RS and hopefully a sub 5 second 0-60 to.

What is it with the OTT styling on a lot of recent hot hatches? The new Type R is also a complete dogs dinner (although, as with the Focus the standard car was hardly a looker to begin with).

honda-civic-type-r-concept-2014-geneva-motor-show_100458475_l.jpg

Maybe I'm getting old, but I'd feel like a right tit driving that.

Anyone else thinking that they shouldn't have bothered and just made a Fiesta RS instead?

Not really, because the Fiesta RS is on the way too apparently.

Yaaaaaaaaas. :-D :twisted:

Some fine PhotoShop there! He's actually made quite a valid point, too. The first picture just looks like a tragically ugly new Focus, whereas the second picture looks like a lairy hooligan mobile (mobeel) which is what the RS is supposed to be.

What's wrong with a 5 door RS? The Sapphire Cosworth was and no one complained about that!

I'm glad they've spent the money on developing a new AWD system rather than putting on some wide arch chav body kit.

They've got to sell it to the world market now, not just us European hot heads and the lary-ness of the Mk2 style was decided to be too much for some markets.

They've said the AWD adds 20kg. Not that I believe that for one second.. :lol:

More details here:

http://focusrs.fordpresskits.com/documents/FordFocusRS2015_Overview_EU.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eurocars/ford-focus-rs--the-inside-line/31583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/31583/focus_rs_awd_EU.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surely the additional weight added from the AWD will be counteracted by the use of the 2.3 Ecoboost which is a tad lighter then the 2.5 Volvo lump.

Big and heavy isn't necessarily a bad thing, the mk2 Focus ST felt hevay a big but you felt very safe and didn't feel at all skittish like the Puma does overy 100mph.

It'll be about 1450KG I'm guessing based on previous weights:

Mk2 Focus RS = 1467kg
Mk2 Mazda MPS (same 2.3L engine in a focus-ish chassis) = 1460kg
Mk3 Focus ST = 1437kg

But yes, I agree that a heavier car is sometimes better for a planted feel. Would hate to think what my M3 would feel like if it weighed as much as a Puma. "Lively" I bet! :lol:

My quattro TT weighs more than the MK2 Focus ST , and that's not slow or skittish by any means. So long as there is power and handling to cope with the weight, what's the problem?

Heavy cars might feel "planted" but at 140 mph you wouldn't want to change direction too quickly.!!.My little lotus weighs about 900 kilos and where legal it can sit at 145 mph feeling very stable and you can still change direction.

Don't care. It's 4WD. I personally felt the mk2 RS was let down by the FWDness, not necessarily handling wise (it's a bit wild though) but just from a spec point.

But that's just me.

Ive already started my piggy bank for one of these.... Not going for a brand new one but im going to be in the market for a new car in 3/4 years and this ticks all the right boxes for me!

I personally love this OTT styling on hot hatches, no one buys a Focus RS, Civic Type R or alike because they want to be subtle so making it look mental is just part of owning a hot hatch. If you want be descreet buy a . Ford and Honda have got it bang on with their latest offerings.

Cant wait to start seeing the RS in tuning shops and what Mountune offer from the dealers.

Latest posts

Back