What's the damage? Now with more photos!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus000

10hr shift + unusual camber + very wet / big puddle = understeer and planting my N/S/F wheel into a kerb at 30mph, wasn't even that big a kerb but it was enough to do this! :(

Body panels / splitter were all untouched, the suspension assembly / wheel took all the impact.

I'll know more what the damage is myself tomorrow becuase I'm off work, will get it jacked up and get the wheel off, in the meantime any possible diagnosis on what is knackered & what will need replacing? :oops:

Wheel still turns, brakes still work all as normal.
It's as though it's pushed the entire assembly round a few degrees and as a result, the wheel is now catching on the back of the arch.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

My initial thoughts are that the ARB is likely to be knackered now, drop links were already a bit ropey, Bushes are powerflex so can't see those being affected. TRE's should still be okay although I have replacments here anyway.

My main concern are the drive shaft, steering rack & possibly wishbone?

As above, wishbone, also bent track rod.

I imagine the drive shaft will be ok.

Possible damage to the subframe.

Sorry to see this mate, hope you get it sorted swiftly.

Check the CV joint, if thats ok then the driveshaft should be. You're probably looking at new track rod end, and as above a wishbone and lower arm.

Steering racks are tough though so I wouldn't worry about that. And make sure you get the wheel re-balanced and tracked mate.

Back from another 10 hour shift! :(

Hopefully not too pricey altogether then.
I've already got replacement TRE's for it as well as drop links.

Actual track rod is around £15 on first glance, same as the Focus one.

Just worried about the wishbone, any spares kicking around or could this be a problem? :(

As I said before, I'll get under it tomorrow to investigate.

i have a spare, needs bushes though

edit: mine is for a std puma not a frp

Pumabuild bought out every last FRP 909 part that they could get their hands on, so they should have some. Failing that, have a word with Jacko, as he is/was in contact with a company that were fabricating wishbones as one solid piece, rather the 'bodge' that Ford decided to do.

Agree I would contact Ford Parts UK or PumaBuild to see if either have one. Else you'll probably need to get one custom made either from scratch or from a standard Puma item (i.e. how Ford did it anyway).

Graham (Dogsbody) has already fabricated a spare set from standard Puma items so it might be useful to talk to him if/when the time comes.

Having experienced a very similar damage to my old standard Puma I hope you get it sorted swiftly!

Right, massive picture post ahead but I can't actually spot any "obvious" damage which has me baffled tbh.

IMG_0025-1.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026-1.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040-1.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Apologies for the quality, it's getting dark outside! :(
Higher res available if needed.

3rd picture down : it looks like the rear bush mounting has been bent round along with the wishbone itself. It's leaning towards the floor where it should be parallel to it.

On the 4th photo down (and 10th), it looks like the corner of the wishbone has bent causing a sharp point in line photographically with the inner cv joint.

New wishbone I'd say.

Higher res copy (click it), I did spot the crease line, that was the only thing I thought that looked somewhat un-natural.

I'll get onto Jacko / PB / PS.

IMG_0027-1.jpg

I suppose that crease would explain why it's now rubbing on the arch, because the entire assembly has been pushed back on itself 1-2 inches.

Reckon I could beat it back into place as a tempory fix to get to work on Sunday? :oops:
Take it easy on the A-roads, just enough to stop the tyre rubbing when turning.

I don't know about beating it back into shape but the wishbone does look bent to me too.

Well spotted Dal. Now I look at pic 4 it's creased to hell which has made it dip like you say.

I wouldn't risk bashing it back and driving on it to be totally honest. Know you've 'broken it's back' it will be very weak compared to how it should be.

Be carefull Marcus, I'd be parking it up until I got a new one.

I have a slight vibration and have hired a car so maybe I'm a little over cautious...lol

that lower arm is bent to fuck, sorry if someones already pointed it out lol never bothered to read any more

also ARB looks bent

you dont want to be bending it back into shape as it will be weak now, you will need to replace it

nasty! is the ARB scouring the driveshaft??

if so DO NOT drive the car or you will double your repair bill once the driveshaft is shagged

find a welder to fabricate that extension piece from your bent arm to a normal non frp arm. Thats all that is any way

sorry, been away all weekend! lower arm is toast mate! cant say for arb but even if it is the drop links might take it in their stride.

ring ps about 2nd hand ones, pb new ones (copies, ford have ran out!) are £200 each, compbrake £250 a pair (std puma arm with a threaded and extended ball joint (adjustable), rose joints & powder coated)

or ford lower arm (£50?) and £30-50 worth of cutting and welding (although frp bushes are uprated so your pair wont match

or i can lend you one with ropey bushes for a few months til your sorted....or sell it you (iv got a spare pair and only need one as a template (dont care which side!!!), make me an offer over £50!)

yeah id get a ford lower arm, get the frp bush as its only about 6 quid new, get that push pressed in the arm, then get your bit welded on the end.

iv got a ford lower arm if you want it with the bushes already removed, you will just need the frp rear bush for it a normal front bush, and a balljoint, balljoints are about 20 quid each

Part number for the bush is : 1042691

hope you get sorted soon mate :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back