Which 15" Trackday Tyres?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbm

I have some 15" wheels in 7J width so a couple of questions:

Which tyre size is best given these are an inch wider than standard rims? Will a 195/50 still be ok or should I go for a wider 205? (or even 215)?

Any recommendations for specific tyres?

I'm not too bothered about them being road legal as I have a road set and will swap once I get to the venue. I could even go full slicks I guess :)

Cheers,
Paul

I have 16's on 7j and running 195/45 looks good and stiffens the sidewalls but very easy to curb if your not very careful. Track wise will be getting 15's and 195/50 as looking at semislicks

But 195 is fine for 7j just don't go wider.

Cheers grayfox, I think I'll stick with 195 50 15 in that case. I've got the option of a good set of part worn Yoko A048 in that size for £200. Anyone used them? They are the OE tyres on Lotuses on those boys seem to like them!

I actually ordered a set of Federal 595R's this week. I will let you know how they feel after the weekend :wink: I'll try and set up a good test to measure the grip levels on my local randomly abandoned NATO airbase :roll:

Cheers Sjoerd - I'd be interested to hear your feedback; those are another tyre I was considering.

About to head abroad to pick them up now. The feedback will follow soon :wink:

This is the place I ordered them, amazingly good price :cool:
http://www.tuninghaus.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=110853&MODsid=a753d86d64694700fc071b4d3da232f5&cPath=16943_16964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've gone for the right ones for best grip - RS-Rs are soooooft :grin:

Nankang NS2-R's I can personally vouch for these tyres, there are fantastic on track and a bargain at £65 for track tyres, go for 195/50/15 and you'll love them!

Ziggy said:
You've gone for the right ones for best grip - RS-Rs are soooooft :grin:

Exactly why I wanted them. In slalom racing there is not much time to get the tyres warmed up offcourse as the course is max. 1 minute long.

@ PumaJay, don't worry.... Tuninghaus is the official dealer of Pumaspeed en Pumabuild in Germany. Look in the TH shop.

pbm said:
Cheers grayfox, I think I'll stick with 195 50 15 in that case. I've got the option of a good set of part worn Yoko A048 in that size for £200. Anyone used them? They are the OE tyres on Lotuses on those boys seem to like them!
Lotus may put ao48s on at the factory but if you use them hard on track you would be lucky to get 2 trackdays out of the fronts.Toyo 888 are a better option,longer life and more predictable in the wet.

longer life = harder = less grip on track. You must always compromise something with tyres.

First review of the 595's: soft and warmed up rather quickly. They seem a bit harsh for street use but good enough for just driving to the track and back. Next week will be their racing debut :roll:

Hi.. New to the site but have done a few track already with my kit car. I have now purchased a 1.7 Puma and modded it for track days and I'm running Toyo 888. 1st time out in the Puma at Donnington on Sunday and I was doing 2 min laps which was kicking the arse out of a supercharged Lotus. :lol:

Ziggy said:
longer life = harder = less grip on track. You must always compromise something with tyres.
Would hardly call 888s a hard tyre.Ive used them for 2 years and there is no difference in lap times on either.You did say trackdays so unless you are a driving God you wont feel any change on either tyre imo. Im out at Llandow tomorrow and if you were in my car you wouldnt know if im on 48s or 888s.As to compromise, any trackday tyre is a compromise unless you have different compounds just play with the pressures to get balance that you like.

Buff_Boy said:
Hi.. New to the site but have done a few track already with my kit car. I have now purchased a 1.7 Puma and modded it for track days and I'm running Toyo 888. 1st time out in the Puma at Donnington on Sunday and I was doing 2 min laps which was kicking the arse out of a supercharged Lotus. :lol:
I think a tidy lap in supercharged Exige is more like 1.30 s sec

Back