Which brand engine oil do you use?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e3silversurfer

My engine oil bottle is running dry and am thinking of trying a different brand. Before that though I would like to gather a bit of information.

1) which brand of engine oil do you all use? or would any brand with 5W30 will do? I am thinking of going with shell's

2) do I have to drain the engine of oil before I use the new brand of engine oil and change the filter as well?

thanks for all your help peeps.

If it's the same grade/viscosity i.e. 5w30 semi synthetic etc then you shouldn't have to do a full change and can just top up.

If you are changing grades of oil or dont know the current state of oil etc then a change is probably worth while.

I use Fords oil for changes 5w30 semi etc then for topping up i use halfords 5w30semi but thats a lot more expensive than Fords so in future when it runs out i'll probably just use Fords for everything.

Fords own Formula E 5W30.

£16 for 5 litres from Ford garage in town. Why go anywhere else?

Apparenty you should stay away from fully synth too, seems a bit backwards to me but ive read it can damage the bore liners.

Dal said:
Fords own Formula E 5W30.

£16 for 5 litres from Ford garage in town. Why go anywhere else?

:shock: the one near me charges £31. odd inc vat

I get mine from partco fully synthetic 5w30 £16 for 5 litres.

Fully synth wont harm it and if your just topping up and youve already got semi synth in they can be mixed no problem you just gotta remember semi synth + fully synth = semi synthetic

He gives me a discount to stop me going to Halfords. (Even though I wouldn't anyway, but I'm not telling him that!)

Discount code '190' or something...

:D

FordPuma_Shearer said:
scary said:
im using helix 5w40 too

Hope you mean 5w-30 not 5w-40... so i'm told 5w-40 isnt very good for any ford engine

i dont know why it shouldnt be good for ford. What i know 5W just means how good is oil in colder winter, so 0w is best for very cold
that number after w, so 40 for me means how good is oil in hot weather - higher number better for high temperatures

properties what ford engine needs is ACEA A1-96, B1-96 and specification Ford WSS-M2C912-A1

or am i wrong?

Back