Which Front Indicator Bulbs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oli8925

Sorry for the really stupid question but I'm getting a bit confused by conflicting info on the web.

I've done a search on here that says they're PY21W bulbs, are these the same as 581 bulbs, with the offset pin fitting?

Just tried to change the sidelight bulb, took the indicator bulb out of one side and the orange finish just fell off in the headlight :(

PY21W are normal standard P21W clear glass bulbs, but with the addition of a Yellow coloured coating, hence the addition of the "Y".
The P21W clear glass is normally used behind Yellow coloured indicator lenses.
In the Puma, the original bulbs were PY21W for the front indicator (behind a Clear/Opaque lens) and P21W for the rear (behind a Yellow lens).
In addition, you can get versions with either a "Diadem" coating that looks "petrol" coloured, or with a "Silver (Chrome)" coating, both which flash with a Yellow colour. These are normally used behind "Clear" lenses, but may be used behind Yellow.

LED bulbs are also available that have either a "White" or Yellow flash, or a combination of both.

As you've already found, the problem with the coated bulbs is that the coating starts to come off over time, hence seeing some cars indicators that flash more white than yellow (unless someone has made the mistake of fitting a clear bulb behind a clear lens!).

Yeah that's what i meant :? Too many beers haha.

I had Silvertecs in the front before i went LED. They still flash orange but don't make it look like a fried egg.

Strange. Before I saw the responses on this I asked the other half to pick up these 581 bulbs (reason I was having trouble is that very few places seem to refer to them as P21W/PY21W), these having the offset pins etc as I described. Needed to take the headlights out anyway so offered them up and they are the correct bulbs for the front...

The pins are at roughly 0 and 135deg around the bulb.

Back