Torque Limiter Removal - Automatic and ECU way (HELP!)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastyCakes

Good morning all. Just have a few questions on how to set up the automatic removal of the torque limiter in 1st gear. So far i've cut the blue/white wire (pin 58 of ECU plug) and run 2 wires to the gear stick - currently they're in contact with eachother and taped up until I have the push-to-break switch to wire up.

What I would like to do is wire up a second switch (on the dash) in parallel so as to bypass the push-to-break/automatic switch at the gear stick whenever I want the torque limiter engaged and vice versa i.e. press the button on the dash, breaking it's path in the parallel circuit, will allow the push-to-break button to operate - disengaging/removing the torque limiter.

I'm just a little confused as to how to wire up the button on the dash. I would like to get a traction control button from a 2000-2006 transit (the word 'OFF' lights up orange when it's engaged and a picture of a spinning up wheel lights up green when the headlights are on - I just thought it was the coolest looking switch to put in the dash and conveniently fit in the dummy switch hole next to the fog light switch). Like Destynx http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=25083 , I want to be able to have a separate switch (traction control switch in my case) that lights up orange to tell me when the limiter is off.

The reason behind having the orange light is an indication to when it's on that the torque limiter is off. Simply put it - orange light off = connection (torque limiter engaged), orange light on = no connection (torque limiter disengaged).

What I'm confused with is how exactly I would wire up this switch to give the above stated desired effect?? Photos/pictures would be most grateful!!!

One more thing about the switch...how exactly does it work? I understand that it sends a signal to the ecu for it's normal operating purpose but what i don't understand is how it will break the circuit and still have the orange light on? :L I'm guessing we'll be utilising the signal it sends to the ECU to temporarily disable that switch's parallel connection whilst turning the orange light on - it sounds as if this one switch has 2 functions...sending the signal to the ECU and a physical switch to turn on the orange light - does that sound right???

Really sorry for the long winded post but I want to make sure i get things right before i go cutting wires left, right and centre! :lol: Please help! Thanks!

to use 2 switches you would have to wire them in series (wire from the ecu to one side of the first switch then from the other side of the first switch to the first side of the second switch and then from the second side of the second switch back to the ecu), so basically you have a loop, that way ether switch can break the loop. if you wired them in parallel then the loop would only break if both switches were in operation.

But that's what I want to do...the traction control switch will act as the 'master' switch so regardless of whether the push-to-break/automatic switch down by the gear stick is on or off, as long as the 'master' switch is off (orange light off - parallel connection), then the torque limiter will be engaged because the push-to-break switch has been bypassed (for those times that I don't want to rag it haha).

Back