Windscreen replacement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

Besides picking up the phone and ringing a windscreen company whats involved in changing a Puma windscreen?

I would be interested to know the details even if it isnt a DIY job

Thanks

Remove glass,remove binding agent,prepare new windsreen with a bonding agent,squeeze bonding mastic on to car around the lip of windscreen,fit install trim and leave for bonding agent to set for a few hours ,best leave it to the experts :eek:k:

As Martin says, fitting a windscreen is best left to the experts as it provides quite a lot of it's strength around that area.

Thanks peeps,I changed a c reg astra one sometimes back in the mists of time and it seems to be the same routine, like household single glazing really. I take the point on safety but its good to know its do-able at a pinch.

Cheers

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if you can still get new Puma heated windscreens, or would it be a trip to the scrappy if you ever needed a replacement?

I used to be a technician at autoglass, and theres alot that goes into changing the glass on any car, the obvious of taking the trim off but the cutting the glass out isnt that simple as it needs to be very carfull not to cut into the chassis, then the new glass needs to be prepered or if recycling old glass that also needs to be prepared.once prepared tye special adhesive mix needs to be applied, first a primer and then bond onto the glass, then lift it in and make sure its square on in the frame.

As for waiting times, depending on the car but being a puma the glass isnt that heavy so an hour should be fine to leave it

There are some pikey methods of cutting the glass, a stanley knife will do but be very carefull not to cut the frame, also ALL the old bond needs to come off and needs to be smooty and flat as possible

evilrob said:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if you can still get new Puma heated windscreens, or would it be a trip to the scrappy if you ever needed a replacement?

You can get heated screens from laddaw, they get most of there glass made by pilkington

Cheers horner_boi I may consult with you in the future if it becomes neccesary if thats ok
:thumbs:

quest63 said:
Cheers horner_boi I may consult with you in the future if it becomes neccesary if thats ok
:thumbs:
Yea sure, i will only be able to point you in the right direction or tell you how to as i dont have the tools any more, i would say one thing, make sure if your getting a screen 2nd hand and its heated, make sure both connectors are in tact and so are the ribbons uess your handy with a soldering iron

No I dont have a heated screen so that leaves less possible probs for my Gorilla DNA to deal with lol
Thanks

ok, you can put one in if you can get the right wires, try find a car at the scrappy and try take the glass out and all the wiring and you can retro-fit it to yours can be done with a little bit of diy

That would make a nice how to guide if you know all the details, I dont think theres any info on that modification here :cool:

It's an oldy, but I'm breaking my donor Puma at the moment, and I can't get the windscreen out. The 3397 Haynes manual isn't much help, referring to screws that don't appear to be present on the Puma.
The black trim looks like it should be peeled back, but I nearly cracked the screen getting it out.
Any helpful hints?

Back