won't accelerate / no power / missfire? HELP!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

any help that fixes this will earn the helper a case of beers / mars bars!!! cos im stuck!!

rebuilt engine, running rich (can smell it and it failed emissions at mot)

fault codes for running lean, high voltage on o2 sensor and missfire no1 cylinder

have changed o2 sensor (new), maf (spare one), sparks (no1 was a little carb'd up), leads and coil pack. reset ecu and removed fault codes.

still doesnt run any better altho fault codes haven't come back yet (only been round the block)

gonna change injectors / have them serviced and check compression

has been rich for a while / stalls when cold but has no power / jerky power since i splashed engine bay in a big puddle and theres a weird smell when warm, like a hot wire...

When the engine was rebuilt were the proper Ford timing tools used? I'd recheck the timing of the engine might be a tooth or 2 out

jacko said:

I had exactly the same.

New engine fully rebuilt failed m.o.t for emissions! Ran very rich for idle absolutely choking stuff and had a slight misfire.

Eventually tracked it down to an exhaust leak just after mani where the decat pipe connects which caused these unbelievable symptoms.

Now I have a problem very similar to topmansparkie post where the car seems lumpy on idle, seems as though it is going to cut out then revs go up by themselves and seems to clears self for a while..... However under driving the car can seem to be running alright and all of a sudden it seems to be choking as there is no power and the car will not accelerate(hesitation).

Funnily enough the engine prior done exactly the same thing and was my reason for putting a new one in as it was using alot of oil and just put the rough running down to this however it is now evident that this is not the case............

Electrical?????????

I have changed the Maf, plugs leads coil, Coolant temp sensor, cam sensor, lambda(all with new gen parts) and even the small loom that powers icv tps etc.

The ICV got replaced about 18months ago as did the TPS at the same time(again gen ford parts)

Any ideas please!!!!!!!

You will not be shot down in flames......... I just want more theories

P.s I will offer one more Mars bar than Jacko................. lol

If you guys are offering the caramel mars, then I'll find a way to fix it lol! With regards to a miss on one cylinder. I'd first try swapping injector 1 with a different injector, just to see if the problem is with the injector or the cylinder. If its the injector, then that's an easy fix. If its still a problem on the same cylinder, swap the switched earth of injector 1 and injector 4, I can borrow you a loom with that already done if you don't want to messs with yours. Then if the problem stays with the cylinder, it's either low compression due to rings not bedded in properly yet or something similar, or valves not lapped in properly, something along those lines. If you move the wires around and the problem moves, then it's likely to be an electrical fault.

Let me know when to expect my mars bars so I can make sure someone is home to take delivery :lol:

been having a missfire on the cabby since ive had it,changed plugs,leads and coil,cleaned maf,still had it so checked plug gap,it was set at .90mm so regapped to 1.0mm still missfired,so regapped to 1.3 as it says in the ford manual and it seems to have cured it,might be something simple as checking plug gap if you hadnt when putting new plugs in.

jacko said:
any help that fixes this will earn the helper a case of beers / mars bars!!! cos im stuck!!

fault codes for running lean, high voltage on o2 sensor and missfire no1 cylinder

have changed o2 sensor (new), maf (spare one), sparks (no1 was a little carb'd up), leads and coil pack. reset ecu and removed fault codes.

still doesnt run any better altho fault codes haven't come back yet (only been round the block)

gonna change injectors / have them serviced and check compression

has been rich for a while / stalls when cold but has no power / jerky power since i splashed engine bay in a big puddle and theres a weird smell when warm, like a hot wire...

Reading jacko's post back, i have the EXACT same problem. See below please.

Got a little update on this.

I got my friend with a code reader to plug my car in and it threw up the following codes:

P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected

P1132 - Lack of HO2S11 Switch - Sens Indicates Rich

Now i got my friend to delete these codes and the car did seem to run better, however it is still not right. It holds revs when cold e.g. when trying to change gear the revs will hang. It also sometimes feels underpowered. The Milltek makes a lot of noise and the car does accelerate, but considering it's a brand new engine it feels as though it is holding back. It also sometimes (mainly when cold) misfires, however not as often as before...

I hope this new info can get someone to finally put this problem to bed for me! Please!

20121211693.jpg

20121211694.jpg

Thanks again,
Nathan

Latest posts

Back