zero compression on every cylinder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroneil

hi,
i bought this puma as a non runner,
it was turning over really fast,
so did a compression test and the result was zero on every cylinder,
i'm presuming the cam belt must have slipped a couple of teeth,
so, i need to get the head off,
has anyone had this problem ?????
do all valves hit or just inlet or exhaust ????
cheers,
neil

I think you might be at the start of a slippery slope there, fella!

I certainly would consider talking to Ian G and seeing what he's got in stock, then weigh up the cost of whacking in a new lump vs the hassle trying to revive this one.

evilrob said:
I think you might be at the start of a slippery slope there, fella!

I certainly would consider talking to Ian G and seeing what he's got in stock, then weigh up the cost of whacking in a new lump vs the hassle trying to revive this one.
^this

Thanks for the love chaps, got loads in, take a look at my stock list on the Facebook page and take off about 15%-20% depending what you don't need included.

Although I'd probably have the head off first to see what's what, no harm stripping it down if you're in no rush for using the car.

hopefully i'll get the head off today as i'm not in work,
need to get the tr7 out the garage and the puma in,
neil

puma now in garage,
need to go meet the guy whos bought my cadillac at 11.30am at the train station then after lunch it's head off time,
i'll try and remember to take pics along the way,
neil

if your replacing the valves would it not be rude to get it flowed while your there??!!

oh well,
looks like this is the problem,
am i right in thinking these should be both horizontal????
oops_zpsb39e3b13.jpg

neil

They dont both need to be horizontal, but they certainly are supposed to be the same orientation. Either your exhaust cam is way too advanced, or more likely your inlet cam is really retarded. Thats a good thing (as far as this situation goes, as the inlet cam can be very retarded without hitting the valves. Your getting no compression because the inlet valves are open during the compression stroke. You may still have hit the valves, so the first thing id do is time it back up properly and do another compression test.

right,
timed it up, still no compression,
head is now off and every inlet valve is bent,
think all the exhaust are fine,
now, the big decision,
do i ;
repair the head,
stick another engine in it,
break it,

gonna have a few beers and think about it,

neil

Back