16Inch Mondeo Si Alloys on Puma?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggar07

Would 16 Inch Mondeo si Alloys OR 16 Inch Cosworth Alloys Fit On A Puma?

I know i will bump into probelms with the speedo being out and possible gear ratios being slighty messed up but i just want to know if many people do this and if everything turns out ok?

I'm a new user to these forums as i just got my first car which is a 1.7 puma (99 T-reg) and i mainly just browse the forums but would like an answer to this question :)

Thanks, Brendan

cosworth design ones fit better then gen cossie ones, but make sure you get the et35 ones not the et40 ones

et35 on mine

pum18.jpg

Wonderful! Thats a really nice look! how much is it lowered by? and what kit you use?

ap adjustable coilovers set at unknown height around 40-45mm if i had to guess

more here http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have got the cossie ones and had no issues with them, although did have to cut a section of the front arch out so they wouldnt foul during hard cornering, but this is an issue with the car being low and not the wheels

its not so much that they wont fit, but the offset ruins the handling, if your just pootling about the roads though you wont really notice, maybe a bit of tramlining etc

if you want proof about the handling claim then go by the 5-10 second slower laps at combe with cossie ones then ones with correct offset, car was understeering everywhere didnt feel right at all, same car, same day just with different wheels swapped over

I have not had any issues with them on track, had no problems keeping up with the racing pumas I go on trackdays with, there is not a massive difference between the 15inch team dynamics i had on before, the only problem with them is the poor choice of tyres, you can't get paradas that fit toyo's seem to be the best option and they are rubbish,

Thanks for all the info guys its really appreciated, i think i may leave it a month or two and then decide on the wheels

Can I just possibly bring a post back from the dead and ask...

Is it absolutely crucial to get the ET35 wheels?

I'm not keen on the props on my car and would prefer to stick with a ford wheel, and well tbh I think these wheels look great on the puma. I see lots of examples on ebay, but the offset is rarely specified. So if the ET35 part is important then I'll have to contact any potential seller to check for the offset.

Thanks

I'd check the offset anyway in case they're miles off. I can't see 5mm being a problem either way despite what some people say - although I'd say best to widen the track than lower it - as a lot stick hubcentric spacers or spacers before the hub and say they handle better. Amazing that considering adding spacers is basically increasing the track the same as having a smaller offset, I can't see the difference on the face of it and the Puma doesn't know what you did for it to decide to adjust it's handling to suit either one...lol.

If you start altering it by big amounts then somethings going to go to $hit as if it was supposed to be much different Ford would have made it that way to start with - although it is Ford so who knows...lol. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply.

All the wheels on ebay that have the offset specified seem to be the ET40 ones, and on the surface of things I can't see what difference 5mm would make, but then again I'm a carpenter not a mechanic... But before I rushed into it like a typical noob I thought I'd be best to seek a bit of advise first.

If your struggling to find wheels and are prepared to take the gamble then go for it and see if it does make much difference. (I doubt it too much myself).

As I say, to be sure you could always add a 5mm spacer to each wheel to get you back to the 'correct' offset if it's not to your liking.

I'd have thought for normal road use you won't feel any difference as the roads are crap anyway....lol.

I'm in the same situation, I want some cheap 16's so I can fit mondeo calipers but the mondeo cosworth design J7x16 et35's are like rocking horse sh!t. Has anyone fitted standard mondeo J6.5x16 et40 with 5mm spacers?? Does this get round the problem????

If I understand correctly, once the offset is accounted for the J7/et35s will give you an extra 1/4"(6.35mm) of wheel either side of a standard setup, an unspaced J6.5/et40 will pitch the tyres in by 5mm so you effectively loose the whole of the difference of width of wheel at the outside edge.
I inhereted a set of et40s and was planning to increase the stud length by atleast 5mm, use 3mm spacers so I keep a bit of engagement from the hub centre and see how it goes. Seeing as I am on a major rebuild and won't be driving her for a couple of months I can't give a quick answer as to how it works, but here's hoping.

youd be surprised how a little 5mm can make a difference, 5mm in and you starting altering the scrub radius, which will affect your steering return to center, aswell as oversteer and understeer

Back