Fuel Pump Problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flip

Hi,
Can anyone help? Puma won't start - engine is turning over but not firing up, and the fuse keeps blowing on my fuel pump. Also, alarm keeps going off regularly (not sure if this is connected in any way?). Have been looking round the forums - have checked the fuel pump cut-off switch (was fine), and all connections to battery. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Agreed, there is a distinct possibility that the fuel pump is faulty. It's fitted inside the top of the fuel tank which also incorporates the fuel sender unit.

You will need to drop the fuel tank to get to it and then undo the slip ring for the sender/ Fuel pump.

The Haynes shows the unit the 2 plastic fuel pipes, I have found they are usually very difficult to separate from the sender. They are of a similar type to that attach the fuel lines to the filter. Squeeze and pull being of the quick release variety

It is possible whilst the car is up on axle stands to carefully lower the tank after first disconnecting the pipes connecting the fuel filter.
Carefully lower the tank with a block of wood and then unplug the sender unit connector , before it get's strained & damaged.

With this unplugged, to rule out a wiring short replace the fuse and turn on the key to get the battery light on etc. If the fuse doesn't blow , the wirings ok You will then need to chisel the large ring anti clockwise to get the unit out.

Before removing the slip ring and unit from the tank, inspect the white wire connector on top of the sender/fuel pump unit. It may just be heavily corroded or suffering from water ingress. Clean up the terminals & spray with WD40 Perhaps this occurred after driving through heavy puddles. You will be amazed at the corrosion and water that sits on top of the fuel tank and rots them out.

If the connector was corroded / wet reconnect filter fuel lines and plug connector in Replace fuse and see if it works without blowing. If all's ok rebolt the fuel tank. If the Connector looked clean. then you will probably have to change the sender fuel pump. :)

Thank you so much for your reply - this has been quietly doing our heads in and it sounds like this could well be the problem!
Will try it out when the weather allows and let you know how we get on!
Thanks again :grin:

Thanks guys! My dad has (very kindly!) carried out your instructions and one new fuel pump and filter later the problem is cured, so thank you so much! Only problem us the alarm still keeps going off for no reason - not sure if this is linked in any way, as the problem started around the same time. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be more than grateful!

Back