First Black Puma - Loving it but being cautious

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v0y4ger

Hi Everyone,

just got my first Puma a few weeks ago. It needed a bit of work doing so I managed to get the seller to knock it off the asking price.
Y- 2001 Plate
New Clutch Fitted 4 mths ago
N/S wishbone and bearing
Cambelt changed - confirmed.
Oil was used but fair colour, no smoke and plenty of rev and pressure.

With the understanding that the following needed doing:
Rear O/S shock
Back Box
N/S Headlight
Dinks all over needed sorting out
Rust on arches and bottom of drivers door
Interior needed TLC and new glove box cover - old one had been screwed shut
It had had a rear shunt at some point which had mis-aligned the bumper (CAT D 2007).

£850 - with 7 months MOT left and 7 days tax.

Picked up headlight, shocks, glove box & lock, various plastic trims and newly discovered missing spare wheel + towing eye and jack securing screw for £70 out of a salvage yard in Birmingham.
Fitted everything, just need the back box now. I hate to say it but I don't think the last owner appreciated it as much as she should have :( Hubby and I fitted all the plastic trim bits and cured the glove box problem with a new lid and lock. We gave the interior a good clean, polish + new mats and we were getting somewhere. There's a slight grinding noise coming from the back, which sounds like a bearing and a bit of knocking here and there over bumps, which I'm putting down to the current back back hanging on by it's fingernails and the absence of a spare wheel.
I'm booking it in for a safety check at the local garage £29.99 before I go miles and miles in it and for peace of mind on the CAT D. As the weather gets better I'll be sorting out the bodywork problems and hopefully come out the other end with a decent enough motor.

Pics will follow

Welcome to the site! i too am a relative newcomer to both the puma and the website and everybody has been a great help!

Welcome to the site, glad to hear to previous accident didn't put you off.

As you say if the spare wheel carrier is empty it could be rattling. It could be suspension bushes but these will always be flagged on an MOT if starting to perish.

Isn't it amazing what a little time and tlc can do?

Hullo & welcome to the site! You will find heaps of help here. Throw up a project thread as your car takes shape - I have to say sounds like you got a bargain there, and tlc is good - mines like a member of the family!
:)
Tina aka Nippydee x

Alreet and welcome along :D

Got a bloody good price for that! Well Done... best colour you have too ;)

Thank you all for your warm comments.

As I said in the title, I'm being a bit cautious with the Puma until I know it's safe and ok.

Then we'll be having a naming ceremony :-D and I'll be finally moving my much loved Chasetown FC youth sticker into the rear window. A sure sign that I'm happy :thumbs:

Will make a point of taking before and after photos along the way but I will be going for the classic super shiny perfection look rather than adding spoilers etc. That's just personal preference though as some of the projects on here look absolutely amazing.

personal preference makes your car individual :D

personally a clean shiny car means bugger all to me lol!

id prefer it to be running smooth under the bonnet than having smooth paintwork :p

omg you live in chasetown :D where abouts u might have seen my dashin around =D

I've been down the spoiler + neons + spacers + nice wheels + paint job + + + road.
It made me a cop + thief magnet for all my trouble :cry:

There's nothing worse than seeing something that you've spent hours and hours and hours on being trashed by some low life scum bag :evil:

Mind you, where I used to live would have had something to do with it :roll:

Hi All,

well, I've had a mechanic give the car the once over and he found these problems and gave the following prices:-

Knocking from the back - was also knocking from the front as front and rear Nearside suspension mounts have gone. - Priced up to £230

Whine from Nearside was a bearing - £35

Coolant leak - Thermostat housing gasket - £40

Juddering - going to start with set of platinum plugs - £35

Anti roll bar links are ok at the moment but won't go through another MOT - £60
(Got these for 11.40 off ebay for pair)

Exhaust blowing - Middle and rear section required - £135

Brakes pulsing - Mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with these but priced a set of discs and pads up at £100 - seen a set of discs on ebay for £20 - brake pads

Geometry - Nearside wheel tips in 1/2 inch more than Offside - no price but sounds expensive.

Tracking £40

I'm not worried about having a go at any of this myself although I think I'll leave the the bearing to the pros and the exhaust might be a problem to get at on the driveway. Any tips would be welcomed.

Jen

Black Puma's are by far the best! Although they're a bugger for stone chips :|

Back