Outer trim replacement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian cox

Hi
I have bought to two outer weather strips from Ford, around £48 each, and now nee dot fit them,
How do I do this?

It looks as though I have to take off the electric mirror trim and unbolt the mirror assembly itself.
After that I am stuck. Do you need to take the door card off and then, some force, pull the trim off and push, slightly tap, the new one onto the outer lip of the door shell.

Help greatly fully received so I so not break too many trim clips.

Kind regards Ian

I don't know about changing the weather strips but I can tell you that you almost always need to replace most of the door card clips if/when you take the door cards off!

Hi Ian,

You’re right, ‘just’ unbolt the mirror and disconnect the the electrics, put the window down and then gently start to prise up. From memory, I started at to opposite end of the strip to the mirror and gently started to pull up with my fingers.

Refitting is reverse of removal! Just use your palm to knock it home.

I would suggest putting somethin below the door as you will be needing rather biggish force to put them in place and you would want to take that additional strain from the doore hinges

Hi
Where we go.
I will try to offer a close up guide of what I found as I replaced these trims seals on my car.

I will also drop on some 'reference shots' as it were, as my car has only 42k miles from new so it is highly likely that it is being taken apart for the first time since it left the factory. Let's see how many clips break and what the quality of the parts and assembly processes used when compared to other cars I have worked on.

More to follow

Kind regards Ian

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 61
Hi
These are the tools I used to replace the outer door seals.
You have to remove the door mirror and unclip the door card.
The socket is 8mm as you have to undo the three nuts that hold the door mirror in place and let in hang gently on its power cable against the outer door skin.
The Torx is a 30 size.
Top tip - magnetic telescopic tool is there to collect any of the nuts and screws that can fall into the door shell.
I dropped one of the OS 8mm nuts from the door mirror so please collect them before pulling the mirror gently away.
The cleaning clothes are shown as with everything apart I like to clean and wipe up of any dirt that I find. My OCD.
Kind regards Ian

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 52
Hi
The problem is that after many years the metal inside the trim is rusting and expanding the rubber trim.
This is unsightly and will eventually break start rusting the door shell.

Kind regards Ian

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 48
Hi

First step is to unclip the cover that allows access to the three 8mm nuts holding the door mirror in place.
Notice the 'S' snapped foam piece that allows the power cable to the mirror to wrap around the foam.
My foam was starting to crumble and disintegrate as I handled it.
The three 8mm nuts can now be undone.
The first is just visible in the bottom left hand corner and the other two are down long plastic tubes.
Top Tip remember to catch all the nuts other wise they will rattle to the bottom of the door shell. :roll:

Kind regards Ian

Attachments

• IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi
Before you can get the the third nut in the bottom right hand corner you need to unclip the door card and undo the three screws used. Two are philips head that other is a torx one.
Kind regards Ian

Back