Cambelt Service Needed

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenithus

OK, since I've crossed over 50,000 miles, I've finally bit the bullet and decided the car needs its major service done.

I know you'll all scold me cos it's 8 year old and hasn't had the cambelt changed yet, but I've only had it 4 months, and I'm going to get it done now! ;)

Does anyone know where a good, reliable, affordable place in the north-east (Washington, Gateshead, Sunderland area) would be to take it to? I've phone Jennings who are 5 mins away but they quoted me £646 all inclusive (major service, cambelt/water pump + labour + VAT) and that seems a bit extreme to me.

I would take it to Pumaspeed but that would require a day off work and possibly a room at the Travelodge haha.

Now that James isn't as P-speed anymore, I'd think twice before going there for something as critical as a cam belt. I'm sure Tony is just as good, but he gets too distracted with phonecalls. Unless there is a new mechanic there now that's good?

I think it's just gonna have to be Jenning's to be honest. I know the price is steep, but then again it will mean a Ford dealer stamp and up-to-date service history!

I'll be down to Pumaspeed anyway to get my Milltek fitted once all this is sorted, haha :)

Hi Guy's,

I am looking at buying a 1.7 PUMA for my wife and have seen a few decent examples around with 50k on the clock. When should the cam belt be changed & how much does it usually cost as I may have to use this as a bargaining tool?

Hi greenroom.. i didn't add this onto my previous post but it should have been changed at 5 years or 80k miles which ever occured first it is not an excuse that because it hasn't reached 80k it hasn't needed to be changed etc.

The interval was reduced from 10 years / 100k on the 1.7 model in around 2003 due to various problems.

As for price; you can expect to pay between £200-£400 depending on where you can take it.

My local grage quoted me around £430 for the cambelt changed. I took a trip to Birmingham (PumaBuild) who changed the cambelt and the aux belt for around £280

Definitely worth shopping around!

And yes if it hasn't been done then you should be able to use this in your favour, especially if advertised with full service history like I have seen many times!

Cheers Red,

I have seen so many Puma's saying there in mint cond but don't state if they have full service history or not!!

Seems pricey so I will definatley check it out.

:eek:k: If it hasn't been done on the one you want then i'd probably put it on the top of things to-do.

My car doesnt have a full service history (it's close etc) but i wouldn't have had any other one for the price/condition/mileage test drive proved good.

Sometimes one to watch out for is a slipping clutch too!

Latest posts

Back