1.7 track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys...

Stephen, yes, you can make the fitting really simple. make a paper template of the bottom of the spoiler where the bolt holes are....in particular the bolt holes themselves. Then place the spoiler on the boot in the position where you want it. I used one of those flourescent highlighter marker pens to draw round the bases of the spoiler. Remove the spoiler and then place the templates inside the marker pen lines....then you know exactly where to drill the holes.

The holes will be right on the edge of the boot lid and they use some sort of filler on the inside to seal the seams, be aware of this as the bolts will sink into it when you tighten them. Also and very importantly, screw your mounting bolts in first (M10' I think) to find out how long you need them. You will need fairly short bolts and be careful, if you screw them in too hard and they are too long, they will burst through the side of the spoiler. I found out the hard way. use a locking washer or some loctite to make sure they don't come loose.

I think the hardest thing is getting the length of the bolts right and ensuring they stay tight

So you coming to Cadwell Stephen? I'll give you a ride round no problem.

Thanks for the installation advise I'll follow all that to the letter. I've seen one on e -bay with bolt damage hence the advise request. Yes, definitely popping over to cadwell, it's only a 40 min Drive for me. :lol:

And did you get mis fire sorted? Looking forward to getting a passenger ride seeing your car in the metal. Damp here today, but forecast 18 degrees,dry and cloudy tomorrow.

All set for Friday...misfire mysteriously dissappeared

Stuck a set of semi slicks on and old set of propellors to try tomorrow. It was a bit wet and drizzly here today but as you say tomorrow forecast dry and warm.

Both cars washed and checked ready for tomorrow

Well the guy who registered a Puma crashed it...little red one bog standard that had already been bumped before it started. Spun it into the barrier at mansfield on the very first session. Didn't capture the crash but got the aftermath...strange thing was, there was also an FRP who span it at the hairpin on the same lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T5Li9YHIkk&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couple of pics from Cadwell

These were sent to me by the Photographer BHP Big Hairpin Photography via Facebook...don't even know him but he took the trouble to look me up....looks like the livery does its job afterall...best excuse for a tax write off...track days courtesy of the taxman - advertising a legitimate and proveable expense lol

Sorry for jumping into the thread.. :)

On your videos the car does indeed seem quite planted! What mod would you say does the most difference? My guess would be splitter. Also, the holes in the bumper, do you notice a difference in drag?

Car looks awesome btw! :cool:

not been on here for nearly a year and the car has undergone so many changes and done so many track day since...in answer to your question HampusSoder I think its a combination of things - the 421 makes the car rev much freer - the polybushes make is much tighter and the coilovers give it a planted feel but tyres are a big factor - I'm now running Nankang NS2Rs and they really give you confidence - finally training/coaching makes a massive difference to how you drive.

I'll fully update the thread with all new photo's and videos etc tomorrow - there's a lot of new stuff to share

IMAG0645_zps7e0r5y0p.jpg

You should try some Dunlop DZ03G's. I've been running Nankang NS2R's on my race car for the most of the season and I thought they were fantastic but the Dunlops are on a different planet compared to them.

Noobrider said:
not been on here for nearly a year and the car has undergone so many changes and done so many track day since...in answer to your question HampusSoder I think its a combination of things - the 421 makes the car rev much freer - the polybushes make is much tighter and the coilovers give it a planted feel but tyres are a big factor - I'm now running Nankang NS2Rs and they really give you confidence - finally training/coaching makes a massive difference to how you drive.

I'll fully update the thread with all new photo's and videos etc tomorrow - there's a lot of new stuff to share

IMAG0645_zps7e0r5y0p.jpg
Thanks for the answer! :)

So here is a big update - sorry not been back to Project Puma for about a year as I had a bit of a falling out with admin but thats by the by.

Well the car has undergone some fairly big changes - The front splitter is a big add that appears to be making some big differences to lap times as the front end is much more stable in the faster corners.

The roof scoop has been a fantastic addition. During the summer months when on track its hot, very hot in a black car with the windows up and arms and legs covered as per the rules. Utilising a chep £10 ebay scoop and using the front vents from the dashboard I can direct cool air directly onto my face. It doesn't leak unless your doing 70 mph in a thunderstorm and then it only drips the odd drip - love it.

we have also done a number of different tracks - 3 sisters, a short but very fun and tight Go Kart track. The Puma rules here and there is little if anything that can catch me here. I've done it 3 times now - its always a shared day with the drifters but £50 for 30 laps aint bad value for money when they do 10 lap sessions and they only let 10 cars on at once - check out some of the video links at the end.

Teeside Autodrome - another Go Kart track but £35 for half a day open track can't be beat. This is a fearsomely tight track in places but also more open with a nice longer straight than 3 Sisters. Had an absolute ball here in the wet with lots of sideways action and lots of other Pumas on track.

Croft - only had a taster here with Petrol and Pistons but definitely one to go back to for a full track day

Donnington - wow this is a fast and open track but some challenging corners and sequences...through Craner Curves at 110 Mph is certainly something you have to experience, great day and another track we will be back at

Also had a Puma day at Oulton park where we had 12 Pumas on track at once, unfortunately it was where I found out there are two different compounds of Toyo T1R's and convinced me to never buy them again - definitely a Nankang NS2R fan now. I had two major moments and only because the Puma handles so well did I not crash into the tyre wall at Druids at full tilt. Also had a major moment at Cascades, never been so sideways at such speed for so long, really though I was off.

So here are a couple of video links and a few photos

3 Sisters
maxted%20track%20Puma%2013_zpsutlzb0ua.jpg

Donnington
Maxted%20Ford%20Puma%20Track%20day%20car%2061_zpshs8mhtsk.jpg

3 Sisters after I dinked my original green wheels at Oulton with the dodgy T1Rs - back to black fan blades
puma%20track%20car%2019_zpsvxjqzztq.jpg

Also had a splash at Blyton
Maxted%20Ford%20Puma%20Track%20day%20car%208_zpsf0wj9ila.jpg

of course Cadwell is a favourite
cadwell31103_zps1f4ba358.jpg

now some video links

last 3 sisters visit with a friend who has a 300 BHP Golf GTi, gave him and a few others a driving lesson once my tyres were warm - Clio 197, and an Astra mk3 with a red top turbo engine fully track prepped with roll cage etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-eV4qlEcIs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another 3 Sisters session a few weeks prior to the above which I was invited to as a VIP lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0Uvmfkg30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donnington - video quality aint great sorry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxnRF42Cfg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Puma's on track at Oulton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Dyz8UxYpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

finally a compilation video charting a bit of the overall journey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1g-U1dAbY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Nick
Great videos and it looks like you and the car are well sorted. Was that a lexus in front of you for a bit at three sisters? A strange choice of car for a trackday and er... interesting handling and the 300hp Golf looked a little understeery.
Barry

yes, I've come across that Lexus a few times - Golf was 1st time on track and he was over driving it thinking his power would wipe everything on track - he totally wiped out his tyres

OK I'm back for a bit - having a boring evening with nothing on the telly so thought I would update on the old gal -

Even bigger changes now as she now sports an ST170 engine and 6 speed gearbox and I will post a seperate thread on the build with plent of photos and videos

She's still under development as there are a few niggles to sort out but she has some track time in the ST guise and the difference is amazing

Latest posts

Back