2.0 blacktop zetec lump in the puma?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaxeman

Hello everyone just wondering about the 2.0 blacktop engine and if anyone knows how easy they are to convert into a puma and what parts are needed etc? any advice on the gearbox and if it mates together or new required? any tips or any info much appreciated thanks duckman!!

the gearbox mounts fine although you will need a 1.8 zetec flywheel. and 2 of the 3 mounts are the same (the 2 gearbox ones) you just have to make one custom mount and figure management out something i have not achieved yet

is that the engine i think it, but im guessing the very simular im looking at one tonight and im going to pick up the flywheel not a problem are you half way through a conversion

I'm currently in the middle of doing a FRS conversion on my puma (previously in a Ka). I had to fabricate the engine mount from scratch...

Be aware though, the standard automatic tensioner will not fit! Neither will the PAS pump pulley without modification of the headlight.

I'm having to have a custom manual tensioner made for the aux belt. Some PAS pipes need to be modified also, as well as air con if you have it, which is proving difficult to get done!!

Here are some pics of the mount I made from 6mm mild steel:

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

As for management, I'm using aftermarket. But until i start on the wiring, I won't know what can be removed. I think the std ECU has to stay (I managed to take it out completely in my Ka), especially to keep std alarm and immobiliser, etc.

If you don't retain air-con and power steering, it's easy, you just need an alternator conversion kit from trackdesigns.co.uk and the only thing that's difficult is the custom mount and wiring.

I can't explain how usefull this infomation is.
i wasn't worried about the engine mount as i could put something together but i wasn't aware about the air con and power steering being in the way?
i will show these picture to the mechanic next door to me in the morning to get his advice as im only really a panel beater sprayer.
Ive got bike carbs with a filter to add to the engine i think ive let myself in for a massive Job . Fuck.

Hi do u still have all the mesurements of the plate u used as am away to do the same in a mk 4 fiesta

Couple of noob questions. I've spent too many years in Toyota land, I know what a pinto is but whats all this blacktop, silvertop malarky? Quick nose on the bay at 2.0 blacktop zetec engines comes up with old mondeo engines, I assume I'm missing something?
Secondly what an FRS conversion?

TIA

The blacktop is the 3rd generation of the Ford Zetec E engine and was first fitted to the new Focus in 1998 and then the Mondeo. The really old Mondeos (1992?) used the Zetec E silvertop phase 1 which says DOHC 16V on the rocker cover which was replaced by the phase 2 shortly afterwards (16v Zetec on the rocker cover) because of problems with sticking valves and followers.
The engine is called a blacktop because the rocker cover is black plastic whereas the silvertop has an alloy rocker cover.
Barry

Back